Machinery's Handbook What Edition?

mine is a twentieth bought at Quartzside for 5 bucks and other than the dust jacket being worn in places it is in new condition
I don't have the heart to take it into the shop for fear it might get dirty! I run back and forth between the shop and my desk in the house to get information and write it on scratch paper
before I found it I was useing my sons 30th edition , just feels better to use an older edition as mine was printed in 1975 before CNC and computers became popular

Thanks for this. I've been meaning to pick up a copy, but sort of got caught up in analysis paralysis. That chart linked to earlier in the post was very handy. I found myself a 25th ed (1992) for $19. The early 90s seems like a good time period, CNC being established but not yet the dominant form of manufacture it would later become. I am entirely manual operation and have no plans to go beyond that, but it can't hurt to have a little reference to CNC just to keep my options open.

I think I'll try to find myself a late 1940s edition at some point as that seems to be the sweet spot for some of the other tech. Additional info on foundry, blacksmithing etc than earlier editions, and before they started trimming this older material out.

One option is to search on-line for a free PDF to download. I have 3 version of this book in print, but sometimes it's nice to have an electronic copy as well... I just did a search and several came up, free to download.

Ted

I have three a red seventh , a 21st and one I don't remember but it's in the teens. My wife's making me a book cover for the red one it's in pretty good shape and want to keep it that way. The 21st was my first I bought before being disabled . Over the last couple years I picked up the other two. I'd like a real early one for my metal planer with the overhead belt drive. A few more pages of the history of the old time machine shops. Where one small steem engine or hitnmiss motor were used to power the shop. Not many line shaft shops left.

Where one small steem engine or hitnmiss motor were used to power the shop. Not many line shaft shops left.

Hahaha, just today I visited one of my Amish friends who has a machine shop. There are actually two Amish machine shops within a few miles of me. Anyways, they both use a single engine to run line shafts which run their equipment. Seems to work out pretty well for them. One told me one time that the motors make nice jack shafts! :) He also has a flex shaft that runs off the end of his line shaft to run his Bridgeport mill. Nice kid...

Ted

One option is to search on-line for a free PDF to download. I have 3 version of this book in print, but sometimes it's nice to have an electronic copy as well... I just did a search and several came up, free to download.

Ted
All editions of the MAchinery's Handbook are copyrighted. Download for yourself H-M don't care. Please don't down load to this site or leave any kind of link to it's location. It will not be allowed!!!!

I support the large print edition theory!
Although, this should not suggest that I haven't collected some really cool older editions.
I nostalgically appreciate the notes that somebody once made and the occasional finger print.
These don't do much for resale value but it does remind me that somebody once used the book.

Daryl
MN
I've got the 23rd. Very happy with it. Got it used at a fair price. It is a good reference when you want to know everything about a subject that could make a preferential difference in how best to plan. It's also a great aide when designing things. Info that would be hard to find otherwise is pretty easy to find in it.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Please heed Kens' words. Do not download to this site or link to it. It will be deleted as soon as we see it.. No ifs, ands, or buts. This goes for any copyrighted material. The only way to do it is to show us proof you have the permission of the copyright owner.

"Bill"

Back