Machined nozzle

Bluedog

Registered
Registered
Here is a project from a few years ago that I never got around to completing and firing. My son is recently showing interest in model rockets, so I might finish it up sometime in the near future. Should be a G class engine.IMG_6358.JPGIMG_6359.JPGIMG_6360.JPGIMG_6361.JPG

That can only be for static display only. Model rocket sporting code dictates that no significant parts of the rocket can be constructed of metal.

Is that a legal thing or only for competition?
Reminds me of “October Sky”, one of my favorite movies.

The restrictions are mostly for the insurance you get from the national organizations. If you want to fly at a club launch, they require that you follow the safety code for that reason. There are a few sites that allow metal nozzles, and Tripoli is working with some clubs that want to test them on sugar based motors. The danger with nozzles is that they can become a projectile if the motor fails. Commercial reloadable motors use phenolic or graphite nozzles to meet the safety codes.

Nice machine work though. I'd be worried about damage on a hard landing.

Looks pretty awesome! Please share some specifics! Materials, weight, size, etc.

I've looked at Aerotech reloadable motors and toyed around with the idea of making my own housing to fit their composite fuel grains. What are you gonna use for fuel?

Back