Machine Vises On Vn

Manderioli

Registered
Registered
I am trying to source a new vise for my No. 10 machine but curious how others mount their vises to these duplex machines. Would love to have a 6" wide vise but at 17" long, I would virtually have no table travel in and out.

Do users mount the vise perpendicular to the table or parallel? I realize it is dependent on user, job, tooling etc. Just curious what others are doing.

Not sure the 6" style vise is even viable for such a small mill.

I mount mine perpendicular. Most of the time the vise will hang off the front, which isn't a big deal.

IMG_20150712_171622730_HDR.jpg

This one is a Palmgren that cam with the machine, but most of the time this is how I mount them for normal small work. Get a couple of clamp sets, I use these more than the vise.

I don't think a 6" vice is too much.

Jason

I've never seen one normally mounted any other way than having the jaws parallel with the t-slots. I guess so you can crank it open & closed.
BTW: I have a 8" Palmgren on my Cincinnati MH2. It's more than I'll ever need, but that's OK.

FS MILL9.jpg

Last edited:
I was curious about the same question as I am considering picking up a 6 inch Kurt 6 vise and swivel base from a friend at work to use on a VN16. It would consume nearly half the table and I don't know if the knee has a capacity rating, but I figured I'd give it a try. Its probably a good 80 pounds. Could be a bear cranking the Z, which is fine, but I don't want to overly burden or wear the screw.

That 80 lb vice will have no affect on that 16. Keep the gibs adjusted and lubed and you will not have any issues.

Jason

That 80 lb vice will have no affect on that 16. Keep the gibs adjusted and lubed and you will not have any issues.

Jason
Thanks for your thoughts on that Jason, Now I feel a lot more confident investing in the vise. I am hoping to pick it up tomorrow.

I've found the swivel base on the Kurt is useful for setting the vise jaws square to the table. Easy to adjust by loosening the two nuts and nudging the top part around to square. However, if you take the swivel base off, you will have a lighter vise and more vertical clearance to work with. Something to consider...

Glenn

I've found the swivel base on the Kurt is useful for setting the vise jaws square to the table. Easy to adjust by loosening the two nuts and nudging the top part around to square. However, if you take the swivel base off, you will have a lighter vise and more vertical clearance to work with. Something to consider...

Glenn
Glenn, your right on point. This combo is pretty tall. I am sure sometimes I would need to take the swivel off for the extra space, or just use the vise and break out the swivel when necessary. The scale weighed this combo at 98 pounds, the good news is the knee cranks up and down like it doesn't even know its there, Jason Annen from above was spot on.

Back