[Newbie] Machine Vice

Little-Eagle

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

I've recently bought a used (Hare and Forbes) Hafco HM-50 Milling Machine that didn't come with any tooling.

From their website I'm getting an idea of some of the basic tooling I need to buy, at the moment I'm thinking Parallels, arbor and collet set, facing tools, etc

Just wondering has anyone bought the vertex K-type machine vices, are they any good, are there any equivalent vices out there worth considering, I'd love to spend up and buy the best but will probably have to settle for entry level equipment at the moment.

I have some friends that I'll be hitting up for some training but any advice on what to buy and brand names would be handy as I have limited experience

Cheers

Damo

looks like that mill is a bridge port style mill. A Kurt style vise would be the best type vise for it.

I think that is a drilling vise, not a milling vise. I'm not sure what is inside the moving jaw, maybe someone here has one and can verify.
It looks to me like the screw just pushes the jaw over and applies pressure with no means of pulling the moving jaw down as it clamps up.

Kurt style vises have a weird looking wedge inside the moving jaw that forces the jaw down as it closes up.
Enco has a bunch of Kurt clones and Kurts on sale right now
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=45&PMKANO=398&PARTPG=INLMPI&PMCTLG=01
check out the following pages in the brochure as well.

I have a decent Chinese vise and a Kurt. All I can say is, you really want a Kurt. I put the Chinese one back on it's swivel base for the rare times I need a swivel vise, the Kurt is a whole different world of vise. I waited until they where on sale, and I got a coupon for more discount and free shipping.

Hi Little-Eagle

I have the Vertex Anglok VA-4 vice (4inch jaw version) and it performs OK. It actually has the lock down mechanism as you tighten the jaws
The first one supplied was faulty as the jaws would not close parallel. It was replaced and the replacement seems good.
Not a Kurt but then again less than 1/2 Kurt price.
If I had my choice I would actually purchase a Glacern.
Good luck with your purchases and hope you enjoy your mill
Ron

Back