Machine T10166 Quick Change for G0602Z Lathe

Robotics1102

Registered
Registered
I mentor a high school Robotics team and we bought a Grizzly G0602Z Lathe about three years ago. The person buying it looked at other lathe accessories and one purchased was the T10166 Quick Change Tool Holder set. We had some time this summer so I thought we'd try out the T10166. Quickly found out, as the literature says, that it's not readily compatible. The height of the tool holder is ~1/8" above chuck center when using a 3/8" tool. Worse with other tools. The parting tool is WAY high.
I believe we can machine the tool holder on the back-bottom where it hits the compound rest to make it work. My ask here is whether anyone has completed this retrofit and whether you remember how much you took off. I could take off too much and use the height adjustment for set-up but I'd rather get it on center when it bottoms out as students will be uisng it and it'd simplify their work. Thanks

There seems to be a quite a bit of variability on the G0602/G0752 lathe. I know another member and the center height of his lathe was roughly 0.047" lower than mine. My QCTP fit without a problem, but when I bought an Aloris threading tool it interfered with the compound. I had to remove 0.047" from my brand new tool to be able to reach center line.

I would recommend you measure the height of the spindle axis from the top surface of your compound. Once you know that, you may be able determine how much to remove. If you need more details on how to do that, please ask, and someone will be able to help with that. If you have a few measuring tools like calipers and a micrometer, it is possible to get the value to within 0.001" with some care.

That's not a large lathe- could you not use standard 1/4" tools? Might not totally fix your height problem but might get you close

There seems to be a quite a bit of variability on the G0602/G0752 lathe. I know another member and the center height of his lathe was roughly 0.047" lower than mine. My QCTP fit without a problem, but when I bought an Aloris threading tool it interfered with the compound. I had to remove 0.047" from my brand new tool to be able to reach center line.

I would recommend you measure the height of the spindle axis from the top surface of your compound. Once you know that, you may be able determine how much to remove. If you need more details on how to do that, please ask, and someone will be able to help with that. If you have a few measuring tools like calipers and a micrometer, it is possible to get the value to within 0.001" with some care.
Thanks, that's what we'll do.

I mentor a high school Robotics team and we bought a Grizzly G0602Z Lathe about three years ago. The person buying it looked at other lathe accessories and one purchased was the T10166 Quick Change Tool Holder set. We had some time this summer so I thought we'd try out the T10166. Quickly found out, as the literature says, that it's not readily compatible. The height of the tool holder is ~1/8" above chuck center when using a 3/8" tool. Worse with other tools. The parting tool is WAY high.
I believe we can machine the tool holder on the back-bottom where it hits the compound rest to make it work. My ask here is whether anyone has completed this retrofit and whether you remember how much you took off. I could take off too much and use the height adjustment for set-up but I'd rather get it on center when it bottoms out as students will be uisng it and it'd simplify their work. Thanks
Yes you can skim the bottom of the holders. Obviously just using smaller tools is an easy solution.

I bought a 40 position holder for my 11" lathe, I wanted the size options of the "E" size system - even though it was a little large. The S&B lathe has a small step on the compound, so I notched the bottom of the holder and still had to take off about 0.040" from the bottom of the holders. I implemented the same concept that you talked about - skimming just the right amount so that the tool would land on the center height when the holder was sitting right down on the compound (just did that for the 3 main tools that likely will stay in those holders as long as I own the machine). There would be a number of approaches to accomplish this. The one I chose was to secure the tool post to a lathe plate then I could use the post to grab the tool holder (much as it is designed to do) and cut the step, bevel the teeth and skim the bottom surface.

The result was excellent, once set up it didn't take very long. Now the machine will take standard 3/4" tools and I didn't have to purchase the larger size holders (they do make bigger holders for the "E" size).

Attachments

• DSCF4152.JPG
    DSCF4152.JPG
    453.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF4158.JPG
    DSCF4158.JPG
    505.7 KB · Views: 5
1/4" high speed steel tool bits are probably the most-used size there is- so yes they are available

I tend to use 3/8" tool bits on my Grizzly G752Z(G0602). They work pretty well. Sometimes I use smaller tooling, if I'm grinding some special tool, but I bought a ton of 3/8" HSS a while back, so I'm still using it. Have some 8mm stuff too.

Yes you can skim the bottom of the holders. Obviously just using smaller tools is an easy solution.

I bought a 40 position holder for my 11" lathe, I wanted the size options of the "E" size system - even though it was a little large. The S&B lathe has a small step on the compound, so I notched the bottom of the holder and still had to take off about 0.040" from the bottom of the holders. I implemented the same concept that you talked about - skimming just the right amount so that the tool would land on the center height when the holder was sitting right down on the compound (just did that for the 3 main tools that likely will stay in those holders as long as I own the machine). There would be a number of approaches to accomplish this. The one I chose was to secure the tool post to a lathe plate then I could use the post to grab the tool holder (much as it is designed to do) and cut the step, bevel the teeth and skim the bottom surface.

The result was excellent, once set up it didn't take very long. Now the machine will take standard 3/4" tools and I didn't have to purchase the larger size holders (they do make bigger holders for the "E" size).
Thanks

Back