Machine leveling feet?

gredpe3

Active User
Registered
What is the formula for picking the correct leveling feet for a Machine?
Eddie

At a minimum, I divide the machine weight by the number of feet, then double the number to find the needed capacity. Sometimes I size the feet to each handle the machine weight. Depends on the shock load they might encounter. For a punch press I would at least double the machine weight for each foot. Each one of my mill feet will handle the entire weight of the machine, this was primarily determined by the bolt size of the feet mounting holes.

Thanks for the reply,I have been working on getting my G0705 to a comfortable working height.Been useing 2x and 4x timber to get it where i want.Now its time to build a real base with leveling feet.I think i will do the same and pick a foot rated to handle the full weight of the machine / base / cabinet/ vise and any contents that may be in the cabinet.Maybe round that number up a little.1k per foot should be plenty overkill.:thinking:
Eddie

Got the base built,waiting on the leveling feet now20140824_101416_zps0eb95b50.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

4x4 1/4" wall steel tube.20140824_101550_zpsbe22761e.jpg Will raise my machine 8" plus the height of the levelers.

You might consider adding a backing plate to the top or bottom of the tubing where the feet bolt on. That looks like a weak link in the design, but I could also be way wrong. Either way it still would not hurt to double that thickness for overkill purposes. Otherwise it looks great!!!!

Bob

Back