Machine from cast or get a billet and carve?

Even if you cast from 6061 scrap, it will not have the properties of 6061. Carve it from a billet and ride with confidence.

I wouldn't cast it either. Just for the record, I read that casting aluminum is a different type from 6061 and not to use it. I have been collecting cast aluminum pieces to use when I get a furnace setup. Can anybody shed some light on that?
I have cast aluminum in the past. It tends to have internal micro pores but otherwise is suitable. I have used sheet aluminum scraps for casting; not sure of the alloy though. I collect aluminum small engine blocks and other castings for future use and probably have several hundred lbs.

Likely a zinc alloy. If you have an electric kiln so you can keep away from the hydrogen embrittlement casting would be OK with the correct alloy.
I have not ridden for several years, since this last stroke put me in a chair. But after thousands of highway miles I will stand on the premise that either the upper or lower triple tree should only be a salvaged OEM part. If you cannot find the original part, be sure to change both the upper and lower for what you do find. I would not cast one, even using a local foundry, if he's even still in business, with my or his pattern. A triple tree is one of the primary stability parts of any bike. If you only chase trees, the stability and longevity of the machine still depends on the triple tree. Machined steel would be my choice there. The Al alloy is not a zink, ZAMAK, casting.

People seem to forget that a lot of aluminum is also forged. That is stronger than cast. Many car wheels are actually forged. The alloy is different for forging (closer to an extrusion) and not ideal for casting. Could that triple tree be forged?

People seem to forget that a lot of aluminum is also forged. That is stronger than cast. Many car wheels are actually forged. The alloy is different for forging (closer to an extrusion) and not ideal for casting. Could that triple tree be forged?
I agree with this assessment. It looks forged and machined by my eye. It is hard to imagine Yamaha driving costs down and quality up by ignoring forging as a proven process.

Back