Lufkin Holddowns. How Are They Used?

Wrecks

Registered
Registered
2015-03-31 16.06.32.jpg
I sort of collect old Lufkin tools and picked these up off Ebay a while back. The thing is, I like to use the tools I buy and I can't figure out how these things are used. Can someone explain?

Thanks.

Those holddowns are great! I have a set of starrets and use them all the time. They put downward pressure on the part and holds it down to the bottom of the vice. It's a great way to square up steel. Dont be afraid to take cuts either, The holding force will surprize you. You can use them with equal sets of parallels to get clearence underthe part to drill tap etc... Just put your part in the vice with a holddown on either side and clamp. I always lightly tap the part down, but the slight angle these clamps are ground at, do that for you. I use them when im flycutting to squre up parts.

Those holddowns are great! I have a set of starrets and use them all the time. They put downward pressure on the part and holds it down to the bottom of the vice. It's a great way to square up steel. Dont be afraid to take cuts either, The holding force will surprize you. You can use them with equal sets of parallels to get clearence underthe part to drill tap etc... Just put your part in the vice with a holddown on either side and clamp. I always lightly tap the part down, but the slight angle these clamps are ground at, do that for you. I use them when im flycutting to squre up parts.

How are they oriented in the vise? Which side is against the part and which side is against the jaws?

The "pointy side" goes against the part.

The "long flat side" with the small relief (next to the "pointy side" goes down.

The "long angled side" goes up.

The "1/4" or so wide" flat side goes against the vise jaw.

These are really good for holding thin panels.

The "pointy side" goes against the part.

The "long flat side" with the small relief (next to the "pointy side" goes down.

The "long angled side" goes up.

The "1/4" or so wide" flat side goes against the vise jaw.

These are really good for holding thin panels.

This is great! I can't count the times I've needed something like this and didn't know I had it. I'd have never guessed they were for use in the vise. I've googled them several times and always come up empty.

Thanks!

Glad I could help. Awanders discription of how their used is spot on. Great article h-man, I had seen it b4 but my old memory fails me at times.

Call me slow, but I can't quite picture how those would work with thin panels. Thicker parts I get.

Thanks guys I never seen them before. I have used a slightly different version for surface grinding years ago.

I personally have never used them on amything real thin. Mostly to square up and hold parts down in the vice. I use them to make bastard keys all the time.

Back