Ludlow cobra HSS

Jmsvickers

Registered
Registered
Hi all, I recently bought a mixed bag of HSS from a seller on ebay which included a bunch of REXAAA and Cobra HSS bits and blanks. I found info on the REXAAA, but nothing about the Cobra. Could anyone give me any information on it? I'll try to send a picture if needed.

I'm trying to figure out if it's a M or a T based hss. It seems to cut better than the REXAAA and hold a finer edge. But I haven't ground any of it yet myself, just been using it as is out of the box so far.

I found a few references to the Ludlow or Alleghany-Ludlow high speed steels on another forum. One comment said it was a tungsten base:

Ludlow "Cobra" was another great T1. Pleased to have gotten hands on just one full blank a while back. Not much was ever better for surviving the hammering of first-pass against corn-cob stick weld that would shatter carbides of the day in a New York Minute. Switch to Rex 95, one of the Mo-Max clan, or neg-rake Carboloy inserts (all we had, cheap shop, early 60's) once the peaks had been knocked off.

Thank you, I found a list of other hss made by them but it didn't have the cobra on there. I alsonhave a stellite blank I foolishly practiced grinding on before I knew better. I just wanted to make sure the cobra wasn't something in the same park.

Back