Lube/grease for Criterion boring head?

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
Cleaned a CB202B Criterion boring head. Need to lube/grease it and reassemble it. What grease would you use on the seat/thrust bearing surface of the adjusting screw?

InkedIMG_20170410_173223_LI.jpg

I would probably use way oil or maybe one of the lubriplate greases.
Not saying that's right...someone will set us right.

I use SuperLube grease for that. So far, it works fine and nothing slinging out in my face.

I like loctite Moly paste LOC51048. It is a high pressure anti seize lube that stays put. I like it for applications like this and inside chucks to keep the moving parts lubed.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Any good grease or just way oil will be fine. You don't need an EP grease for that cause it doesn't see high loads. It's just an adjustment screw, the gib should be properly adjusted to take up the load.

I would recommend Super Lube also, it's inexpensive & it's a pretty good general purpose grease. I use it a lot. You can even buy it at Harbor Freight.

I think the last time I lubed my boring heads I used Gleitmo 585, what Bison uses in their chucks. Not cause I thought it would be better, only cause I had it, I used very little. I don't recall my Criterion or Yuasa boring heads having grease on that part though. I did buy them used but I figure if they did have grease from the factory I would at least see some trace of it.

Best thing about SuperLube, other than the fact that it is an excellent lubricant, is that it doesn't cake and harden with age, and that means it works as it should for long periods of time.

Yup, I seriously use it for everything when I don't need some speciality type of grease. Snap-On even uses it in their ratchets. I even use it as dielectric grease & even on o-rings sometimes. I do have have a tube of Parker o-ring lube that works better but it's quicker & easier for my to just grab the Super Lube.

I keep mine in a small grease gun. The small tube of Super Lube fits in it perfectly. I really should buy me a can of it as it's cheaper per volume but the small tubes are more convenient & I can just go to HF & get it if I don't feel like ordering it.

Not my pic, stole it off the net, but this shows what I'm talking about perfect.

IMG_0723_s.jpg

I was curious about the Allied branding in the pic above. I had no idea Criterion got bought out by Allied. I'm always used to see Costa Mesa on them.

Will, have you heard of No-Ox-Id electrically conductive grease? This is the greatest stuff for use around electrical connections when corrosion resistance is needed. I use it on all my connectors - battery terminals, crimp or open barrel connectors, etc. Good stuff.

I was curious about the Allied branding in the pic above. I had no idea Criterion got bought out by Allied. I'm always used to see Costa Mesa on them.

Yup, Criterion was sold to Allied in 2003.

Back