Low Profile Forward Assist?

Cavediver

Registered
Registered
Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't remove the ridge around the end of my AR forward assist knob?

I bought an ambidextrous charging handle and have snagged my fingernail on it several times. I love the function, but dang, that hurts! Looking around on the internet I've found a "low profile" version of the FA (just a smooth cylinder, no flair at the user end), and started thinking that I could just modify the existing piece and save myself $35.

Is there anything I am overlooking here? I don't think so, but I'd hate to get into it and realize I've done something dumb.

Thanks!

If you ever truly need the forward assist you'll feel it a lot more with a smaller head on the plunger.

Steve Shannon

I'd be afraid that it would plunge, get stuck, and I'd have nothing to get purchase on to pull it back. Not sure that could even happen but if it's possible, it would happen to me.

-Ron

I'd be afraid that it would plunge, get stuck, and I'd have nothing to get purchase on to pull it back. Not sure that could even happen but if it's possible, it would happen to me.

-Ron
If it can stick you have way worse problems than the forward assist was meant to solve. Pulling back on the charging handle will force it back. So will pulling the trigger!

Steve Shannon

This is primarily a gaming gun, so I am not too worried about life-or-death function. I am more concerned about getting the assist jammed in there and knocking it out of service.

Brassmanget, it is a button style assist.

I've thought about it enough and have decided to try it. At worst I will break the part or otherwise make it unusable, leaving me to buy a new one. As it stands, while i.t does work, it is only a matter of time until I injure myself, so I would have to buy a new one anyway. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I guess :)

Have you ever needed a forward assist? I kind of doubt anything you do will make a functional difference. You could probably weld it in and still have no effect.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Have you ever needed a forward assist? I kind of doubt anything you do will make a functional difference. You could probably weld it in and still have no effect.

Jeff

Yeah, I've used it once or twice.

After careful review, it looks like the cap on mine is a separate piece and I won't be able to turn it flush with the barrel. Since my lathe is finally up and running, I may try to turn a whole new one, provided I can properly drill for the roll pin that joins it to the pawl shaft (best description I have there...). Worst case scenario: I'll remove it and make a delrin or .45ACP plug to prevent gas blowback.

If you screw it up, just buy the part you wanted as a replacement.

Jeff

Back