Loose back gear on Craftsman 109

Hi. What is a solid collar? How do they tighten? I am familiar with split collars and two piece collars.

A solid collar (usually called just "collar") can be either threaded or unthreaded. In either case, it's usually tightened or locked with one or more set screws, preferably on a flat or flats. And where I earlier wrote "split collar", I should have written "two-piece collar". A split collar would be one piece with a gap cut through one side. They are tightened with a clamp or clamping screw. The parts drawing for the 109.20630 shows a 2-piece collar. The one for the 101.0703 shows a solid collar.

Hi Robert. OK, I understand. It appears that the collar for the 630 is actually 2 piece, since it shows two screws. My friend's is like this. I don't see how there is room in mine for even a one piece collar unless the screw is pretty small, due to the 3118 washer in front of the back gear bell. Maybe it just needs more washers, or a thin roller thrust bearing.

As best I can determine from the poor scan of a pretty slim manual, the collar sets the spindle end float. But I haven't been able to figure out where it is physically located. That's why I thought that getting an actual look at a complete original 0703 would be beneficial. On the parts list, there are 5 parts with the word "collar" in their names. One is simply "Collar". That's 3111 and its drawing shows it as a solid ring and does not show whether there is a set screw or screws in it. The other four are obviously from their names not on or around the spindle. For example "Tool Post Collar".

Back