1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Looking To Tool-up My Burke #4 Mill, Need Advice

Discussion in 'BURKE-US MACHINE TOOL & BARKER MACHINES' started by thenrie, Dec 5, 2015.

1. thenrie

thenrie Active User Active Member

City:
    Salem
    State:
    Utah

-Return to Top-

I have some projects in mind for the Burke #4 I recently acquired. I have almost no tooling at all and just about that much experience with a milling machine. I need some advice on what kinds of cutters, end mills, face mills, etc, I will be best off with for my machine's size/capabilities with regard to my projects.

The first major project I'm likely to do is to make a T-slot cross slide for my South Bend 9A lathe. I'll need a 60* dovetail cutter, a face mill or fly cutter, and a side cutting bit, and a T-slot cutter. The cross slide is made from a rough casting of iron. See Metal Lathe Accessories

at http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/index.html

I'd also like to make the MLA toolpost for my lathe, which will require a slitting saw.

Then there is always the squaring up and cleaning up of other metal pieces for other projects.

I currently have 1/2" and 5/8" end mill holders and a 1" horizontal arbor (with no key slot), so I'm starting pretty much from scratch.

I need recommendations for what kinds of cutters will work best and what to stay away from.

2. Bob Korves

Bob Korves H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Hi Tony. Does your machine have a B&S #9 spindle, or what?

3. thenrie

City:
    Salem
    State:
    Utah

-Return to Top-

Oh yeah! Forgot to mention that. It has the B&S #9 spindle. I do not have the vertical head for it...wish I did.

IMG_1813 (1).jpg

4. Glenn Brooks

Glenn Brooks H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Woodinville
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

I've had terrible experiences buying Chinese import end mills from Grizzly Tools. Some have lasted only 4 or 5 minutes minutes. Real junk mostly.

So I went to shopping on eBay, and surprisingly found good prices and good quality tooling. Mostly because I wentfor US or European manufacturer. Look at the photographs closely and move on if you see obvious signs of hard use- seems to work ok for me.

Regards
    Glenn

5. thenrie

City:
    Salem
    State:
    Utah

-Return to Top-

Thanks. I've been wondering about those chinese tools. I bought two different sets of small end mills for my lathe, both made in China. One set cuts very well, the other set didn't last through one single keyway.

6. Bob Korves

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

The other thing you might want to do, Tony, is to get an adapter from B&S 9 to MT2 so you can fit more common tooling as well. You can buy end mills with MT2 shanks easier and cheaper than the B&S tooling.

7. thenrie

City:
    Salem
    State:
    Utah

-Return to Top-

That's a good idea. I think I'll look at that. I have been thinking about buying a B&S9 to ER32 collet adapter, since the ER32 collets are so much less expensive than even the 3C collets my South Bend uses.

8. TomKro

TomKro United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Aberdeen
    State:
    Maryland

-Return to Top-

Tony:
    I've seen straight shank ER holders, but haven't seen any ER to B&S9.
    If you happen to find one, please let us know how it works out.
    TomKro

9. Bob Korves

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

They might make an adapter from B&S 9 to MT3 as well, not sure.

10. thenrie

City:
    Salem
    State:
    Utah

-Return to Top-

Tomkro, there is a fellow on the Burke Yahoo group who has had a bunch of B&S9 ER collet holders made in Asia and is marketing them on eBay. The ER32 is $80 +SH. Search B&S 9 on eBay and it will pop up.

Bob, I have been watching for an MT3 adapter, but haven't yet come across one. That would allow me to share some of the tooling between the lathe and mill.

Questions about face mills. There are a couple face mills on eBay right now that I'm wondering about. One is a 6" indexable head that uses a 2-1/2" arbor. There is also a B&S9 arbor that will fit it. The 6" face mill would cover that MLA T-slot cross slide surfacing job in one pass. Is that face mill size too large for the Burke #4, or would it handle it with light passes? Would that be better than using a smaller face mill in several passes, then follow with a larger fly-cutter to give a nice finish? Would a fly-cutter alone do the job of surfacing cast iron?

11. TomKro

TomKro United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Aberdeen
    State:
    Maryland

-Return to Top-

Tony:
    Thanks for the lead on that adapter.
    I was looking at a straight adapter (to fit a 3/4 inch B&S9 collet), but I believe it held a smaller ER collet.
    Just in time for the Christmas list.
    TomKro

12. thenrie

City:
    Salem
    State:
    Utah

-Return to Top-

Asked about this on my other thread, but thought I'd mention it here as well, since traffic seems to be very slow on the forum. I have come across a Porter Cable milling head I could easily adapt to my Burke #4. I'd like to hear a few comments on the PC milling head and whether it is a decent head. It has a MT3 spindle. My other option is to adapt a Bridgeport-type angle head, on which I would have a R-8 spindle.

13. thenrie

City:
    Salem
    State:
    Utah

-Return to Top-

Oh well. Couldn't wait for replies. Seemed like a good deal, so I bought a Porter Cable Mark II milling head today on eBay. Looking forward to getting it. It has the 2.25" shaft, though, so I'll need to turn it down to 2" to fit the overarm bores. However, the head itself is in good shape and appears to have had an easy life with little use in its time. The seller says it has a MT-2 spindle, so tooling for it shouldn't be too hard to find. Comes with a 1/2" collet. Most of these heads, from what I read, though, came with a B&S-7 spindle, so we'll see if he's right.

I've been spending quite a bit of money getting this thing tooled up. Once I get all the stuff I've bought in the next couple of weeks, I'll have a good start on things. I have bought a hold-down kit from Shars, a couple of end mills, a set of 1-2-3 blocks, a right-angle block that I think is going to be too big, the milling head, and some odds and ends.

I'm still going to need a vice at some point, a 4" I think, and a larger fly cutter than what I have, as well as a decent face mill, a couple sizes of T-slot cutters, and a couple sizes of dovetail cutters. That should get me through the projects I have in mind at this point.

woodtickgreg likes this.
  14. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Eastpointe
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Post pics of the head and progress with it when you get it, should be very interesting.

15. thenrie

City:
    Salem
    State:
    Utah

-Return to Top-

Got lucky. Found an arbor on eBay with a 6" cutter on it. The description was unclear, stating the arbor had a "morse taper" on it and that the seller didn't think the cutter could be removed. It looked just like an arbor I recently bought, except in better condition. I asked the seller some questions, but he really didn't know much about the arbor, not enough to be able to properly measure it. Since he was asking only $10 for it, and the cutter was worth about ten times that, I took the risk and bought it. Received it yesterday.

It's a perfect fit! It's a 1" diameter arbor with a B&S #9 taper. The taper had a dusting of surface rust, but otherwise was in very nice condition. A few minutes with 00 steel wool dressed it right up. The drawbar hole is threaded 1/2-13, so my drawbar fits it. The nut and spacers came right off. The cutter is a 6"X1/2", with no broken or chipped teeth, and it is very sharp. Appears to have seen little use. Not bad for $22.65 including shipping! IMG_1854.jpg IMG_1855 (1).jpg

16. thenrie

City:
    Salem
    State:
    Utah

-Return to Top-

Folks, there has been less response on this thread than I hoped. I will not be watching or responding to this thread in the future. I will be posting everything to my thread, "Just bought a Burke #4" (tthenrie). If you want to keep up with my tooling up and work with/on my Burke #4, that's where it will be.

Thanks to those who contributed here. Hope you'll follow the other thread as well. :)