Looking to move a PM1130V into my basement

I made a sled for my lathe, then some guided ramps, and finally an elevated platform at the bottom of the stairs. The lathe was guided down the stairs using a come-along until it got to the platform. Then it was swung around and lifted onto the lathe stand, which was the same height as the platform. The lathe stand had wheels, so it was then wheeled into place. It was a ton of work for only two people, but we got it done. At no time during the lowering was anyone on the down slope of the lathe. Made it harder, but it was safer for the both of us. And no, that platform wasn't big enough, but it had to do. As you can see, that is a narrow stairwell. Learned a lot in this move. For my mill, I took it apart and got some (hired) help carrying it down.
View attachment 441008View attachment 441010View attachment 441013View attachment 441017View attachment 441016
thanks for the photos. how the heck did you get the lathe off the wheeled-sled and onto the metal stand at the end of the stairs? I was figuring on just making the sled out of wood and not putting any guides on the stairs. How much did the lathe weigh in lbs?

thanks for the photos. how the heck did you get the lathe off the wheeled-sled and onto the metal stand at the end of the stairs? I was figuring on just making the sled out of wood and not putting any guides on the stairs. How much did the lathe weigh in lbs?
Getting the wheels off wasn't easy at all! A bit of grunting and delicate wrench work got the wheels off. Then the lathe and sled were positioned, and the lathe was unfastened from the sled. Finally the light end was swung out and onto the stand. I had designed the height of the landing to be within a couple of inches of the height of the stand. While my buddy held on the light end, I picked up the heavy end and put it on the stand. It was hard for me because I'm not that heavy, or strong, and well, I'm not a youngster. Lathe is a light weight only 350 lbs. I'd do it a little differently next time, but that is what I had at my means a couple of years ago.

When I had to make some risers for the lathe, I ended up using my engine hoist to lift it. Had to disassemble the hoist outdoors, bring it into the basement and reassemble in the basement. Did that all alone. That was another long day :)

All of this stuff is possible if you use your brains, in preference to your muscles. All of the advice everyone has given revolves around this theme.

Back