Looking to buy my first lathe

GerryG

Registered
Registered
Have been retired for a while and recently got interested in metalworking. I have done some research and I have narrowed it down to the Busy Bee Craftex CX708, successor to the Craftex B2227L. I would like your opinions on this lathe and/or its features, pros and cons. If someone owns one of these, please let me know your likes and dislikes. Thanks

I don't know anything about these lathes.
However, please check back at HM.
Many here have expertise in many things.
Everything from purchasing, trailering, unloading, setting up and even using the blessed machines.

Looking forward to your active participation here at HM!

Daryl
MN

Hello GerryG and welcome. I believe the busy bee line or the Craftex are the same as the Precision Matthews line here in the US. I own the Precision Matthews 1022 lathe and if I remember correctly, I downloaded the Craftex manual because it was a better manual. I like my PM for what I paid for it.

Hello GerryG and welcome. I believe the busy bee line or the Craftex are the same as the Precision Matthews line here in the US. I own the Precision Matthews 1022 lathe and if I remember correctly, I downloaded the Craftex manual because it was a better manual. I like my PM for what I paid for it.

PM machines are quite different when comes down to the detail & features. Busy Bee/Craftex is actually closer to Grizzly with many of their machines in the past identical but of course not all. Don't know the truth in it but it is said the owners of Busy Bee & Grizzly are brothers that parted ways.

I don't know anything about those models though. Grizzly doesn't seem to have a variant of it & it doesn't seem to be a base style lathe that is popular in the US.

I agree, 7 TPI leadscrew does sound odd if that's what it really has.

If you haven't decided look into the grizzly g0602 I love mine and there are a bunch of documented mods on many sites and on youtube

Thank you for the welcome and comments.

The 7 TPI had also caught my eye and wondered if that would be a problem. I think the lathe is mostly if not all metric. Don't know if that would make it unsuitable for imperial threads, or cause problems with the dials.

I have some other concerns as well, such as the bed length and the short 1" travel for the compound. Don't know if those would be too restrictive as an all purpose lathe.

The Grizzly 602 and PM1022 would be nice alternatives, but unfortunately, our lower dollar puts them over my budget.

On the other hand, I only want to buy once.

Sorry about my assumption that Craftex (all models) were the same as PM. However, the Craftex CX706 is nearly identical to the PM1022.

As far as length of lathe, I purchased my 1022 because it was in stock and would have had to wait for the 1030. Of course 20/20 hindsight I wish I would have gotten the 30 inch. Like you, I am new to metalworking so my 1022 has served me fairly well. The 1" spindle hole is somewhat restrictive for me though too. Some day, I may upgrade to the PM1340GT, but a larger mill is at the top of my list at the moment, like a PM932.

The 7 TPI had also caught my eye and wondered if that would be a problem. I think the lathe is mostly if not all metric. Don't know if that would make it unsuitable for imperial threads, or cause problems with the dials.

I have some other concerns as well, such as the bed length and the short 1" travel for the compound. Don't know if those would be too restrictive as an all purpose lathe.

I would see if the manual is downloadable and see if a change gear set is available. You can then calculate the available thread pitches using that 7tpi screw to be sure it meets your needs; if not, then that's a deal breaker. I've seen reference to a 7tpi lead screw on other Chinese lathes but it is unusual.

All the travel limits on this lathe are short, not just the compound. With only 1" of compound travel, if you ever have to cut a Morse taper on your lathe you won't be able to do it because a taper attachment probably isn't available. With a 1" spindle bore and only 18" between centers, you are limited to fairly small or short work. Depending on the kind of stuff you do, this may or may not be a problem.

They do not list the spindle/chuck mounting pattern. If it is the typical 3 bolt attachment thing then that limits your choice of chucks to some extent. Many asian lathes mount chucks this way but if you want a high quality chuck then you may be looking at backplate mounts.

The motor is only 3/4HP, not a real powerhouse. Max speed is 1626 rpm - okay for most steels and smaller work. For aluminum, its on the slow side.

Overall, judging from the specs and capacities, I would say this is a very light duty lathe. They do not say what is included with the lathe. Steady rest, follow rest, dead/live centers, drill chuck, tool post - all should be included in the purchase. A FULL change gear set should also be available; if not, then I would walk away.

There is enough here to make me, personally, wary of this lathe. I know economics comes into play but a lathe is a "major" purchase that you don't want to do often. If I were you, I would call Matt at PM and talk over a lathe with him, along with shipping costs. If he has one that will better meet your needs then that might be the best option in the long run, even if you have to save a bit longer. Service and support after the sale is also really, really, really important and from what I've seen you would be hard pressed to do better than PM for an asian lathe. I don't have any idea what kind of support Busy Bee provides, though.

Sorry if the tone of my post seems negative; that is not my intention. Just wanted to give you an opinion as food for thought.

@mikey Thanks so much for your insights, words of wisdom and recommendations, very much appreciated.

I guess, I need to save a bit more, do more research and look at more expensive lathes. :encourage:

Back