Looking for Tailstock on DSL-1237GH

goldfinger

Registered
Registered
12 x 36 lathe Central machinery, Bought this new in 1986, actually bought 2 of them!. I was taught on a Leblond, and was looking to get one, but I have been making do with these, which have paid for themself 1000 times over. I have wore out both my tailstocks!. I can make new ones or rebuild them, but time does not permit that. More than likely I will have to make the time!!!

Does anybody have a brokedown,used, abused, or just don't like it, lathe they want to sell.of same DSL-1237GH.

I have searched a few places, but no tailstocks sold seperatly .

All I need is the tailstock.

Thanks for answers, opinions and thoughts.

I have the same lathe. Alot of the generic taiwanese lathes of similar size seem to use an almost identical tail stock. If you measure your ways and any other needed info on here I'm sure someone will have information on a machine that uses a similar tail stock. You say you have 2 of these. Would you happen to have a extra cover plate (the part that lists the speeds and such? Could you please post pics of the machine in best condition? I am missing some non essential parts and would like to know what they are. Thanks, good luck!

I have the same lathe. Alot of the generic taiwanese lathes of similar size seem to use an almost identical tail stock. If you measure your ways and any other needed info on here I'm sure someone will have information on a machine that uses a similar tail stock. You say you have 2 of these. Would you happen to have a extra cover plate (the part that lists the speeds and such? Could you please post pics of the machine in best condition? I am missing some non essential parts and would like to know what they are. Thanks, good luck!

Yes I will be glad to post some pics, I have all the parts and all are in excellent condition, just needs a good cleaning, I have not been in my machine shop much this year, been doing alot of portable welding.

I have the exact measurements of the tailstock and both manuals with spec, I called harbor freight, they no longer sell these, but enco does and they dont sell tailstocks, and from what I see on there specs are different from mine.

I wish I had bought the taper attachment , cause that is my problem, I cannot adjust it back to center without alot of tweaking and it just aggrivating! Plus there is some slop in the quill, how much , I dont know, never micked it, but can see it with these old eyes. When the quill is locked down it holds true, so maybe that is all that matters!!

I have been the only one useing both these machines, reckon thats why they are still in great condition, and I have maxed them out, they are tough!!

Last edited:
Yeah all Harbor Freight sells now is the 7x and 8x lathes. If you need to turn tapers, instead of offsetting the tail stock, I've heard of people usung a mills boring head in the tail, saves them from having to reset the TS later. You can also look for parts from a Frejoth FI-900AG. Same lathe, different name.

If it's not too much trouble is there any way I could get you to take that cover plate off and get a good unobstructed pic of it? That is if it's the same as mine, you can see mine is pretty bad. Thank you!

New Doc 3_1.jpg

I have 2 tailstocks, I believe off of 12 x 36 machines. Send me your dimensions and I'll see if either of them match up.

Yeah all Harbor Freight sells now is the 7x and 8x lathes. If you need to turn tapers, instead of offsetting the tail stock, I've heard of people usung a mills boring head in the tail, saves them from having to reset the TS later. You can also look for parts from a Frejoth FI-900AG. Same lathe, different name.

If it's not too much trouble is there any way I could get you to take that cover plate off and get a good unobstructed pic of it? That is if it's the same as mine, you can see mine is pretty bad. Thank you!

That plate looks like the one on my Enco 12 x 36 lathe. I'll take a picture of it today and post it.

Tom S

Edit: Found this picture in my archives. Not my lathe but might be helpful. I'll still post a picture of the plate on my lathe.

$_57 (2).JPG

$_57 (2).JPG

Last edited:
That plate looks like the one on my Enco 12 x 36 lathe. I'll take a picture of it today and post it.

Tom S

Edit: Found this picture in my archives. Not my lathe but might be helpful. I'll still post a picture of the plate on my lathe.

View attachment 89563
I have not had the time to do pics today, but that is the same lathe I got, excluding the gear cove plate on the end.

I have not had the time to do pics today, but that is the same lathe I got, excluding the gear cove plate on the end.

Looked at my lathe and the plate is the same as the picture I posted. Hope this was helpful.

Tom S

Looked at my lathe and the plate is the same as the picture I posted. Hope this was helpful.

Tom S

What I'm looking for is a good pic of the plate off the machine, I'm thinking about having a sticker printed to put on the plate to restore it to original readable condition. Thanks!

Back