Looking for plans for a butterfly impact power drawbar

biednick

Registered
Registered
I'm going to build a power draw bar for my mill based on a butterfly impact, and came across some forums posta about the "SIMPLEST AND CHEAPEST DESIGN EVER" from 2006, which looks great to me. It moves the controls to a remote switch and adds an extra air cylinder to lift and lower the wrench. I found the website where plans were once available here, but the link to buy plans no longer works and I can't find any contact information. Does anyone know where I can get a set of the plans or have contact info for the designer so I can reach out to them?

I saw that site when I was looking into power drawbar options. I never did find a source for that one. I ended up going with the super simple style you see on ebay and the like. I decided I would prefer the simpler design, where you just pull the impact down rather than the air actuators and such. Those are cool, but I like the simplicity and less things to break. When I was getting into this, I didn't know they existed, so I figured I'd mention it in case it's helpful.

I saw that site when I was looking into power drawbar options. I never did find a source for that one. I ended up going with the super simple style you see on ebay and the like. I decided I would prefer the simpler design, where you just pull the impact down rather than the air actuators and such. Those are cool, but I like the simplicity and less things to break. When I was getting into this, I didn't know they existed, so I figured I'd mention it in case it's helpful.
Thanks for the tip. I've seen several like that and it'd be easy whip one up for my mill. I like the idea of the remote control for it so I can mount it next to my spindle lock though. It looks pretty simple so I'm sure I can make one without the plans, I'm just hoping I can avoid spending the time engineering something that's already been done.

Home Shop Machinists user blackforest done
one for his mill. Others contributed as well.
olf20 / Bob

Thanks for the tip. I've seen several like that and it'd be easy whip one up for my mill. I like the idea of the remote control for it so I can mount it next to my spindle lock though. It looks pretty simple so I'm sure I can make one without the plans, I'm just hoping I can avoid spending the time engineering something that's already been done.
A ball bearing floats left and right pushed by air in the T piece at the bottom of the cylinder.

Sent from my SM-A235F using Tapatalk

Check out this video series from Ray's Garage on youtube. It won't tell you everything you need to know but should give you enough to go on.

I've accumulated most of the parts to do a similar build but it's still on the to do list.

I need two power draw bars, one for the Bridgeport and one for my Optimum Mill drill.
A number of years ago I picked up a power drawbar off ebay which has two air push buttons and operates a cylinder and impact wrench, while I was studying that one a new Align power draw bar kit come up on Ebay, it was missing the air cyl and impact wrench.
Long story short I married the two together and ended up copying the cyl and impact wrench setup and now have two that work like the align power draw bars

Back