1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

MON Looking for pics or plans for tailstock crank for larger Monarch

Discussion in 'MONARCH MACHINE TOOL CO.' started by TORQUIN, Jun 25, 2017.

1. TORQUIN

TORQUIN United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Powhatan
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

I have a Series 60, 14" with a very heavy tailstock. On some of these larger lathes they came with a swing-away crank to move the tailstock. I know because I have seen it in the manual and in pics of large Monarchs. I would like to make one myself, since I doubt that anyone would part one off of anything but a junk lathe, and you don't see junk Monarchs very often.

Does anyone have any plans for building one of these?
    Can anyone give me several close-up pics of theirs, so I can get some ideas for making my own?
    Also, in the pics I have seen, I cannot tell if the gear contacts the lead screw or the rack under the bed. I think mine will have to contact the lead screw regardless, because my rack does not go all the way to the end of the bed. I do not know if the lathes with a crank have a rack that goes all the way to the end.
    I will also need info on the pinion gear, if possible, as I need to make or buy one of those for this project.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. NCjeeper

NCjeeper United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Charlotte
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

There are some monarchs on e-bay right now with crank handles. Just take your mouse over the picture and it enlarges and you can see some decent detail.