Looking for high quality upper receivers, any suggestions?

FYI everyone looking at upper receivers,

No company actually makes their own uppers except colts all the rest buy from the following. Look at the right side of the receiver and look for a mark/symbol that will tell you who made it. The final milling might be done at the company you buy it from. To me they are all the same unless you buy a factory second. This applies to standard A1,A2,A4 only uppers of course.

A (splintered) = Anchor Harvey Aluminum

AF = Alcoa Forge

C AF = Colt Alco Forge

C MB = Colt / Mueller Brass

Cardinal (stylized) = Cardinal Forge

CH = Colt Harvey Aluminum

CK = Colt / Kaiser Aluminum

Circle/Crooshairs w/"AR" = ArmaLite

CM = Colt / Martin Marietta

D (stylized) = Diemaco

DK = Diemaco / Kaiser Aluminum

E = Emco

EK = EMCO/Kaiser

E MB = EMCO/Mueller Brass

F keyhole = FNMI / Cerro Forge

FA = FNMI / Anchor Harvey

FK = FNMI / Kaiser Aluminum

FM = FN/Martin Marietta

FMB = FNMI / Mueller Brass

Keyhole = Cerro Forge

L = Lewis Machine & Tool

LK = LAR / Kaiser Aluminum

LM = LAR / Martin Marietta

M (under diamond) = Mueller Industries

PA = Capco / Anchor Harvey

PM = Capco / Martin Marietta

Very interesting. I wasn't aware of that. I did have to go check the one upper receiver (A3 and forged) that I have on hand. The only marking on the side is a keyhole so that would make it a Cerro Forge. I'll be saving this little list for future reference.

Thanks much!

If you not going to compete in service rifle competition, there is a company that makes an extra thick side charging handle upper.

Extra thick = less flex= more accuracy

Ranier arms

and LAR Grizzley

I do like my parts extra beefy :biggrin: so will definitely check those out.

Thanks again,

-Ron

Not to hijack but anyone out there know where one can get a decent dpms pattern 308 upper and lower for as decent priced stripped. I am going to build a 7mm-08

I know this thread is old, but would like to add a Anderson RF-85 to the mix. Has anyone bought one? By the Anderson videos this AR is one amazing firearm. No lube required and it cleans with water only. 4200 rounds in 4 hours and had to stop because the hand grip caught fire, this does seem like it came out of the movies. Only a few company's make all the parts for the AR's. Right now everything is hard to find because everybody is out of stock and I have been looking for parts to complete my build. Receiver is done only until I find some parts for the upper.
Paul

I know this thread is old, but would like to add a Anderson RF-85 to the mix. ....SNIP....Paul

I have a pair I bought a while back. They are nice! Can't wait to get my build done to give it a try. Like you, having a heck of a time finding stuff! I did get lucky and bought a upper kit with a barrel from Anderson's web site this past week. Not sure if I use their barrel or used the match grade barrel I bought from Brownells.

Back