Looking For Cnmg Insert Holder

sanddan

Active User
Registered
Since ENCO has closed, where would be a good place to look for a insert holder for CNMG inserts? For starts I'm just looking for a standard lathe holder that either fits a BXA holder or can be modified to fit. Either 1", 3/4" or 5/8" holders would be fine.

I bought a bulk lot of machining tooling and got a box of inserts so looking for a holder to be able to use them up.

Sandvik, Kyocera and Kennametal make excellent holders, choose between them.

Do not however expect to buy a $100.00 tool that works well.

Check Ebay, but be careful! There are lots of cheap ones there, but also lots of dogs, and some real deals as well.

I've invested into a few Chinese holders that have held up very well. But as Bob said be careful in what you buy some are very inferior in quality. Only buy one's that have replaceable carbide seats on them. One's without a carbide seat will not last very long. And there are many USA made one's out there too. Buyer beware of used one's. I see many on eBay that have damaged bodies or damaged under where the carbide seat sits. Avoid these! A little damage can be tolerable as long as you don't do any heavy cutting. I don't think any of us do that in our shops, do we? Ken

You need to know the insert size to determine the size holder to buy. The CNMG is a negative rake insert, so takes a bit more power, but is more rugged.

I would suggest you look at the Kennametal holders, they are reasonably priced $60-70 and you do not need to worry about the hardware breaking. Otherwise there is Shar's, Gizzly, JTS and a few others that have the house brands for a bit less. I have the Kennametal CCMT holders, and it is my go to all around holder/insert. This style insert is very rugged, I use WNMG Seco holder for aluminum and where the 80 degree insert is too wide. Sandvik can be pricey, but might be able to pick up something on ePay. Iscar also makes nice holders.
http://www.carbidedepot.com/MCLNR103A-P84933.aspx ->Takes 322 insets
http://www.carbidedepot.com/MCLNR123B-P84934.aspx ->Takes 322 insets
http://www.carbidedepot.com/MCLNR124A-P84935.aspx ->Takes 432 insets
ken-holders-mcln-2.jpg

I have one or two that are ancient Carboloy if I remember right. I use the 432 series, and a 1" shank. Nearly all my roughing and some of my finish turning is done with various inserts. You can get an insert for just about any condition or material in that style. It is very popular, plus you can get a holder that uses the 100° corners if you can stand the long lead angle, as well as face mills which also use these inserts, in either orientation. So when you are done with them on the lathe, they are ready for the mill. Same caveat there though, you have to be able to allow for the lead angle if you choose the 100° angle mill. Great for roughing, or finishing when you don't have a step to mill up to.

If you are looking for cheap, Shars tools has CNMG holders

Back