Looking for a source for Way Oil and inexpensive but decent Chinese live center #2 MT Thanks

joebiplane

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi guys and gals

I finally finished my Cast Iron Maiden Heave 10 and I need a live center #2 mt I had one that was about $15.00 bought about 5 years ago I have been " Out of Lathe" for about 3 years due to my lathe being torn apart and then a bit of Personal body repair ( intestinal. followed by a Bad leg blood clot) but I am good as new ( sort of....at 74 nothing is new any more) I can't remember any of the suppliers of discount ( and usually Chinese) tooling for us cheap & poor hobbiest folks . My computer hard drive went to lunch during my down time and I lost the information of the folks I dealt with years 5 years ago except for Joe Bergamo at Plazamachinery) My savior during the restoration of my heavy 10
any leads would be greatly appreciated

joebiplane

shars cdco are 2 good places for what you are looking for bill

Back when Enco (now MSC) had the free shipping deals that was the place to get it. McMaster-Carr currently sells Vactra either #2 0r #4 for $28.28 Gal, about $10 a gallon less than MSC. There are sellers on Ebay and Amazon that sell smaller quantities but typically shipping makes them unattractive.

I recently bought a gallon of Vactra for $18.00 from MSC: the discount came from the fact that I signed up for an online "account". I did pay shipping.

Second the vacra choice for way oil. I bought a gallon from local machine shop. Great stuff!

Check littlemachineshop.com for a good, cheap MT 2 live center. They import quality stuff and will talk to you on the phone with free refunds, free shipping for any defective product. Very nice dealing with them...

Glenn

I bought a kit that included spindle oil and way oil of Ebay. It was a bit expensive for eight ounces, but 8 ounces will last me for years.

I know the bar oil as way oil has been beat to death on numerous bulletin boards over the years. I post this as heads up for some one new to the game, not to stir up old wars. Bar oil does nothing to address stick slip. Works great to lube a moving chain in a filthy environment. Not the same situation of sliding surfaces on a mill or lathe with wipers. Vactra has proven it self for years as being effective at preventing stick slip. Not saying you could not be happy with bar oil, but for a little more money you can use a product that is much better suited for the job on a lathe , mill, or shaper.

cheers
michael

Back