Looking For A Small Lathe And Vertical Mill

There's been some really good auctions in the last six months up in Ohio.
Get on some mailing lists and see what comes up.
This outfit is based up in Ohio by you. They've had some nice ones lately: http://www.thompsonauctioneers.com/

I agree with most of you guys, I do own several wood working machines from Grizzly and they are a great company. I had a small Grizzly engine lathe for a short time several years ago and the fit and finish was not what I have on the other tools, but it could have been just a bad day at the factory. And yes I don't want to by a 1940's era machine that I have to rebuild just to start using it. And being on a budget is just good business. I'm a hobbist that just want to get the best bang for his buck. It really does not matter if it is an import or not as long as I can find something that is as accurate as possible and does not break the bank, and take up all the room in my shop. Its only 20 x 20. That is why I looked at the Smithy machines first, and I thought the 1340 was going to be the machine but another site did not give it a good review or not I even have talked to people that own and use them and they have told me they are good but you have to work around the problems. I'm still leaning that way but I'm looking at all my options.

Hey Bill,

Many guys here have bought the Griz G4003G (it was on my radar for a while) and the reviews have been pretty good in that only minor tuning, if any, was all that was needed to get up and running. But...it takes a big chunk out of your budget. And the guys here are 'very' helpful in blowing one's budget. They blew mine to heck and gone, twice. The downside was it took more money and time (to get the money), but now I have machines that are more capable than I am. And I've got it all sandwiched into the 15'x20' portion of my garage.

Welcome to the hobby. :D

You need to be clear on whether you want to buy and use, or buy, fix then use. If it's the latter, then there is plenty around. Me personally, I prefer to use my time saving cash, then spending extra to get something that works.

When I bought my lathe, I paid about 4k for it. It was the right combination of features, mass and condition. This was my second lathe so I was pretty sure about what I wanted.

Having helped alot of people buy lathes and mills I would recommend saving more money than you intend to spend. In many cases the jump in quality and equipment for a modest increase in price is huge.

Also, become best buds with a machinist or a seasoned hobbyist who can accompany you. There are a huge number of lathes that fit the size you specified so knowing which features you want in a lathe will help. The same also holds true for the mill.

Paul.

You need to be clear on whether you want to buy and use, or buy, fix then use. If it's the latter, then there is plenty around. Me personally, I prefer to use my time saving cash, then spending extra to get something that works.

When I bought my lathe, I paid about 4k for it. It was the right combination of features, mass and condition. This was my second lathe so I was pretty sure about what I wanted.

Having helped alot of people buy lathes and mills I would recommend saving more money than you intend to spend. In many cases the jump in quality and equipment for a modest increase in price is huge.

Also, become best buds with a machinist or a seasoned hobbyist who can accompany you. There are a huge number of lathes that fit the size you specified so knowing which features you want in a lathe will help. The same also holds true for the mill.

Paul.
Paul
You are right and I was thinking the same thing. I have began that process now. I would like to buy a newer working lathe and mill. So I will have to put some more funds together and it will take me a little longer but I'm sure I will find a good deal.
Thanks
For the advice very sound.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Many guys here have bought the Griz G4003G (it was on my radar for a while) and the reviews have been pretty good in that only minor tuning, if any, was all that was needed to get up and running. But...it takes a big chunk out of your budget. And the guys here are 'very' helpful in blowing one's budget. They blew mine to heck and gone, twice. The downside was it took more money and time (to get the money), but now I have machines that are more capable than I am. And I've got it all sandwiched into the 15'x20' portion of my garage.

Welcome to the hobby. :D
Thanks I was also looking at that Grizzly machine, but now I'm in that process of time to getting more monies.
I have to be patient and a deal will come along and if not I will have the money to make it happen in the next few months. Need to work on the shop and get things ready.

Thanks
Bill

Paul
You are right and I was thinking the same thing. I have began that process now. I would like to buy a newer working lathe and mill. So I will have to put some more funds together and it will take me a little longer but I'm sure I will find a good deal.
Thanks
For the advice very sound.

Bill

You won't regret it Bill. The only machine purchases I have regretted were those where I spent what I had initially planned to spend and therefore passed on some killer deals that only cost a fraction more.

In the meantime, research like mad and get to know exactly what machines will scratch your itch. I have always considered this to be a big part of the fun and it made it that much better when you roll your dream machine(s) into the workshop.

Paul.

Back