Looking for a Slitting saw arbor

Thanks Alan, I bookmarked the pdf file ,and also the one that mksj (post #29) linked, they both are the same design .it already helped me decide to go with 1.5" diameter instead of 1.250" .

Okay Ken.
Yes mskj is the Mark I am referred to and he gave me the original sketch.

Yes, 1.5" in diameter will be much better since that gives you a 1/4" width of clamping surface and that will be a good thing. These saw blades can be hard to hold.

Also, take a look at the design for the Robb Jack AB series saw arbors. They are the cream of the crop.
Robb jack also sells the cap as a replacement for $87 if you want to start there. These are heat treated, ground and finished.
Saws: Marindale Electric Co.
Ebay: Malco, Cleveland, Thurston, Niagara. I bought these on Ebay also for $10 each new.

Last edited:
1045 will be fine for this and can be used as is and it machines well. It does heat treat and case harden but I wouldn't bother. Your mini lathe would have no problem. I also wouldn't get too hung up about T.I.R. as the saws unless resharpened to precision by you will have runout as well. One of the good things about Morse tapers is they are easy to make but as you have R8 I'd follow the excellent plans by Alan H and you will make better than mass produced.

I've seen good arbors cut a piece of metal that was only .002" out on one corner.
A quality arbor will give better results consistently. Your saw blades will last longer also.
You can make a good arbor on a lathe. I would use O1 tool steel.

I've seen good arbors cut a piece of metal that was only .002" out on one corner.
A quality arbor will give better results consistently. Your saw blades will last longer also.
You can make a good arbor on a lathe. I would use O1 tool steel.
I agree the less runout the better and made at home is often far better than bought, I was aluding to to fact that some people worry about 0.0001" runout and I have never personally seen a new cutter that was pefect.

I've been making my own, I haven't made the perfect one yet, but they are easy to make and I can make them the collet size I want.
Thanks Mark and alan for the drawings, I like the designs

Last edited:
Also, take a look at the design for the Robb Jack AB series saw arbors. They are the cream of the crop.
Robb jack also sells the cap as a replacement for $87 if you want to start there. These are heat treated, ground and finished.
Saws: Marindale Electric Co.
Ebay: Malco, Cleveland, Thurston, Niagara. I bought these on Ebay also for $10 each new.
Thanks Emilio.
While I was still looking to buy , I did search for top quality slitting saw arbors mainly to compare quality/design to the more affordable ones ,I noticed Robbjack to be around $520 USD. I'm sure in a production environment they are great but way too expensive for my taste:D , didn't know you could buy the cap separately,good to know.
I haven't seen a better arbor design than the one Mark and Alan posted, it is simple enough for me to even consider making one in my small shop.
BTW, This is the saw I ordered from ebay,still waiting for it :
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Back