Looking for a Slitting saw arbor

I could make the arbor out of cold rolled steel . I have already seen and read on shop made arbor, it's definitely doable , could buy the blade and that's it. I think that makes sense.

First, learn to bore an accurate hole ...

Alan, that's exactly the design I was planning on copying, saw a youtube video of how it's done and thought that was some decent project I could do, thanks for posting it.

Yes, I like the design a lot. I will tell it is not design but was given to me by a friend. His idea of having wrench flats on it are a big plus and allow one to easily tighten it down.

BTW, it is blued with Brownells and has been more durable than I expected.

Well thank you all for your comments, you helped me make up my mind ,I went ahead and ordered a 1" slitting saw and will be ordering the steel for the arbor .

Make one (or several) to fit in a collet. The Chinese ones are not very nice and the arbors are pretty easy to make on a lathe... Don't get fancy and try to make one fit multiple size saw holes. It takes away all the accuracy. The best idea is to design them so they can be trued up with a lathe bit imounted in the mill chuck with every use, making them run perfectly true every time.
I will stick with one inch arbor for now , keeping it all as simple as possible , if things go well, I like the idea of having different size arbors for smaller/larger slitting saw blades.
I know Mike mentioned to use 1144 Stressproof for this tool but what I have available is a piece of cold rolled 12/14 ,(will have to find out the difference on google),that 's what I used before with my mini lathe and it wasn't too hard to machine.

Last edited:
I purchased three (made in the USA) on eBay and they looked nice. But the run-out was horrible (>.010"). They sent replacements and they were even worse. I copied the design and made my own that works fine. One caution is to be careful on the saw clamping surface corners to keep the corners sharp. Inserts have a radius. Some blades that you use are very thin so undercutting is not an option. I used a parting blade to get the desired shape. Good luck!

Well thank you all for your comments, you helped me make up my mind ,I went ahead and ordered a 1" slitting saw and will be ordering the steel for the arbor .
Ken, I would suggest you buy some decent machining material. There's lots of turning, facing, and boring going on here and finish is very important.

Edit: missed your post above where you mention Stressproof

Last edited by a moderator:
Back