Looking for a Slitting saw arbor

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I need your thoughts on slitting saw arbors.
I thought it would be easy to find something that's not too expensive and still does the job but guess I was wrong, all I've been looking for is an abor with a 1" cutting hole, for some reason all the cheap ones come with variable size holes and the main complaint seems to be "terrible run out".

The saw I'm after is 3.0" x 1/16" x 1.0", with 30 or more straight teeth, that seems to be easier to find although the prices range from $15 to $50 or more but I'll find something in between .
Is there an arbor any of you have had good luck with? what do you think of F&D tool company? I found this one on Amazon for $100 ,was looking for something less expensive but don't want to end up with a wobbly set .

I welcome all your comments.
Ken.

Hi Ken
what spindle taper do you have?
there are some inexpensive R8 saw holders that work decent from Shars.
if you have a lathe and can turn between centers, you can make your own arbor too, if you desired!

The mill takes R8< I thought about making the arbor on the lathe but since it is a mini lathe I can only use cold rolled steel or aluminum, would prefer harder material .

there are some inexpensive R8 saw holders that work decent from Shars.
I thought I should stay away from variable hole arbors based on a couple of negative reviews, I could get one for $35 ,not sure thou.

I think it's alright but the deal breaker is the $40 shipping.I like the nut ,it can be tightened with a wrench ,no chance of stripping it, LMS sells similar arbor but it has a 1/2" shank which can fit in a collet:

3620.480.jpg

Cutting with a slitting saw is a rather low pressure job. Get a chunk of O-1 and make an arbor then you can heat treat if you wish. Purchase the desired arbor and screw thw two together. Final cut the arbor after it is attached to the purchased shank and run out should be minimal to non existant. O-1 machines nicely in my experience and is the most affordable of the home heat treat metals, A-1, O-1, or W-1. :eagerness:

This is a project that you can make on your lathe, Ken. It involves some boring and fairly precise turning but you can do it. Take a look at the Sierra American saw arbor and duplicate it. If you choose to make it, the fit of the nose piece, the part that the saw fits on, has to be a fairly precise OD. I should think it needs to be about a few tenths shy of 1" to allow the blade to slip on; the fit is pretty close. The fit of the nose in the bore of the arbor is also a close fit but you can do it. Make the shank 3/4" to fit your R8 collets and make the body long enough to be practical - maybe a 1" to 1-1/2" long. Personally, I would use 1144 Stressproof for this tool.

There is also a new one on ebay.ca right now that is selling for over twice what a new one costs in the US: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sierra-Amer...560948?hash=item2131640bb4:g:MikAAOSwk~NZ074k

See here for a new one. They might ship to Canada - maybe call or email: http://www.tool-company.com/shop/ge...rra-american-gen-purpose-reach-arbor-sa-1000/

You can also contact Sierra American and see if they will ship one to you: http://www.sierraamerican.com/slitting-saw-arbors/

Make one (or several) to fit in a collet. The Chinese ones are not very nice and the arbors are pretty easy to make on a lathe... Don't get fancy and try to make one fit multiple size saw holes. It takes away all the accuracy. The best idea is to design them so they can be trued up with a lathe bit imounted in the mill chuck with every use, making them run perfectly true every time.

I do like the idea of making the arbor myself but tool steel is hard to machine with a mini lathe/mill.

Back