Registered
I am looking for a mig welder and the specs I am looking at are:
thin metal to 3/16 maybe
able to use spool gun on if I need too
looking for portable welder thats why the 110
I have others welders, but not too portable
I want to buy parts easy for it if needed so brand name
I would like a low price as I will not be using that often
lowest price at weld shop for Lincoln or Miller is over $750 without tank and spool gun
A 75/25 40cu/ft tank and filled is $146 and $21 for refill so not too bad on that straight Argon is almost the same price
I was looking at Hobart 140 for example, do not know anything about this one
I hear that box store name brands will work as they are almost as good as welder supply ones
I am just going to use at home since I am retired and on things like car body and hobby stuff
In my opion a hobby welder should not cost a $1000 for a setup
Any help would be helpfull to me or advice on different models
Paul

Paul,
Your expectations of a 110v mig w/ spool gun are unrealistic for the whole shebang under 1k. You might consider a larger used machine as you stated you where going to use it at home. Thats a lot to invest in a small machine that you might end up outgrowing. I'm partial to Miller but Lincoln, Hobart and several name brand machines have proven themselves over the years. Many machine manufactures offer duel voltage but I really believe you would benefit from nothing smaller than 200 amp/240v.

I have a Hobart Handler 140, which I really like. It will work well off a 15 amp plug if you aren't running at maximum.

If you are serious about adding a spool gun, consider a Miller in that size range. From what I read, the Hobart needs an intermediate control box to run a spool gun. This adds to the cost.

small hobarts are not to bad using shielded wire..

the small 220volt
box is good for 1/4" w gas

I borrowed a Hobart 140 here on the island to build my gates. Ran .024 with gas and it performed very well. The enclosure had some cheap plastic hardware, but other than that I liked it. Mike

i have a lincoln SP125 (110v @20amps supply) that has been excellent over it's lifetime.
i use it as a dedicated stainless machine for repairing and constructing safety guards for meat processing machinery
i run .030" 309L and tri-mix (90%helium, 7.5%argon, 2.5%CO2)
i have used the same set up to weld mild steels as well.
the welder works very well on a 20 amp circuit- i can get spray transfer from the little machine!

Look at some of the welding sites for some direction.

What you are looking for is gonna be pricey, the spool guns aren't all that cheap. On some of these sites I have seen people posting about they hopped up Harbor Fright welders with a simple procedure and are liking them. I have a 110v and a 220v Harbor Fright welders and have been happy with them, so far. I haven't used Millers (yet, we have them at the skool waiting to be hooked up), Lincolns or Hobarts to compare them to though.

Even the migs I see on CL are going for crazy money used. We just surplussed a SyncroWave 250 and a 350 to State surplus auction, see if your state has an auction site to auction off surplus goods. Our 2 welders were gently used and good deals CAN be found at these sites.

Update,
I wound up getting a Lincoln 140C mig and a Argon/Co2 tank after some research. The C model had a better heat range selection and was a better price than a 140. The total price was $680 for the welder and 146 for the tank without tax. The spool gun will cost about $220 without the Argon tank which is about $145. Refills are about $21 without tax and will never be charged for anything else as long I take it back to the same stores that handle the refill, which have 4 stores and been around for a long time as I have dealt with them since 1971. I still think it is a lot for a hobby welder, but better than the HF models I assume. Next task is to try it out and I do have some projects waiting after I do some practice welds first.
Paul

Check out the Miller 211. I have one and love it. The newer one is even smaller than mine and more portable. It welds on both 120/240 V and has served me well. I have a spool gun for it that I have used for welding aluminum. It's a little more $ than the 140A class welders, but it will give you a lot for your money and may become the only mig you need.
Good Luck!

I just found one cost me $93.00 works great it is only uses E71T-gs
FYI on all 120 volt welder they all will flip the breaker from time to time see
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/welding-machine-for-under-100-00-with-shipping.48993/
If you close to HF they have a parking lot same for a small 90 amp for $87.00 just got the add.
I had a miller 120 volt 20 years and it flip the breaker too.
On the machine I have I found a good setting that does not trip the break (Max 1 speed 4.5).
I do like not having to use 240 volt buying and dragging cord of a large machine is not fun and just try dragging the bottle too not fun.

Dave

I am looking for a mig welder and the specs I am looking at are:
thin metal to 3/16 maybe
able to use spool gun on if I need too
looking for portable welder thats why the 110
I have others welders, but not too portable
I want to buy parts easy for it if needed so brand name
I would like a low price as I will not be using that often
lowest price at weld shop for Lincoln or Miller is over $750 without tank and spool gun
A 75/25 40cu/ft tank and filled is $146 and $21 for refill so not too bad on that straight Argon is almost the same price
I was looking at Hobart 140 for example, do not know anything about this one
I hear that box store name brands will work as they are almost as good as welder supply ones
I am just going to use at home since I am retired and on things like car body and hobby stuff
In my opion a hobby welder should not cost a $1000 for a setup
Any help would be helpfull to me or advice on different models
Paul

Last edited:
Back