Looking for a mentor in OKC

Polliwog

Registered
Registered
I am a high school senior interested in manual machining and gunsmithing. I am required by my high school to find a mentor in the field I am interested in. The mentorship would have to happen between February and April (2017) and would involve a minimum total of 28 hours with the mentor. If you could mentor me, know anyone who could, or have any suggestions of places to look for someone I would very much appreciate it.

I might be able to help you with some basic skills around metalwork on both lathes and mills as I use both, but I would like to understand what you have studied and learned so far in school. Does your school have a shop program? Please let me know and we can go from there -- Jack

Do you use them as part of your career or as a hobby? My school does not have a shop program so unfortunately I do not have any formal training. I have messed around on a mini lathe and mini mill but I do not own either of them so my experience is limited.

Do you use them as part of your career or as a hobby? My school does not have a shop program so unfortunately I do not have any formal training. I have messed around on a mini lathe and mini mill but I do not own either of them so my experience is limited.
I am a retired Mechanical Engineer, and I use my machines for fun. What I am trying to find out from you are what skills are you starting with and what skills are you wanting to learn. There are a number of areas I can help you with but I need to understand some basics - for instance, did you take any mechanical drawing courses in school? Can you read blueprints? Can you make your own drawings? I would like to help if I can -- Jack

I am not starting with very many skills. My school does not have a mechanical drawing course, but I do know a bit about reading and making blueprints from trying to teach myself 3D CAD. I want to learn everything that I can about using manual machines or machining in general. Setting up machines, making blueprints, following blueprints, and anything else that I might need to know if I wanted to be employed as a machinist. I would like all the help I can get --Paul

Back