• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

[Metrology] Looking for a good depth Mic..?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I'm shopping for a new/used depth mic and leaning towards the Starrett 449 blade type/non-turning.
What are your fav's what do you like and what don't you like, comments, suggestions all welcome.
Thanks

ghostdncr

B&S round spindle. I bought mine thirty years ago and have never found need for anything else, although I did grind up some new rods for 0-1" and 1-2" with .062 diameters on the ends for thinner work.

mikey

Active User
I have a Mitutoyo 129-type depth gauge with the interchangeable rods and the Mit 7200 dial depth gauge, an indicator with a depth base and interchangeable extensions. Both read in 0.001" increments. To be honest, I use the dial-type more often - quicker and easier to read and much faster when comparing depths of surfaces.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
I have a Starrett 445 set with rods up to 9" plus spares, a B & S smaller set, and a Starrett 463 mic. head with a small accessory depth foot on it. I use the 463 head for most simple work, and it fits into tight places and is smooth and easy to get a good feel with, the bane of depth mics. To me, smooth and calibrated rules. With my 0-9" set, purchased used and with new Starrett rods having been added, I have no idea if it is properly in calibration for every rod, so I calibrate it for each different one I need to use and then mark it as being calibrated. About the only advantage to buying a quality new set is that it is likely properly calibrated. A cheaper or used set will need to be tested and possibly calibrated for each rod length...

EmilioG

Active User
I just bought a Starrett 449 with 5 blades. 0-6". I like the non turning blades and this tool can measure thin slots and recesses.
I'll post pics when it arrives. Now I'm looking for radius gages. I see they only go to 1/2" Are they available in larger sizes?
I've had to resort to using washers for larger radii.

mikey

Active User
Dunno'. My Mit set only goes to 1/2" and its pretty big.

EmilioG

Active User
Thanks. The larger sets are very expensive. I guess I'll keep using washers for now.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Thanks. The larger sets are very expensive. I guess I'll keep using washers for now.
Of course that was MSC. Could be cheaper at the competition... I used MSC because I figured they would have some.

mikey

Active User
I just turn the OD I need from scrap delrin and use that. Seems like I can never find the washer I need when I need it.

EmilioG

Active User
Yes, I thought of that Mike, if I can't find the right diameter, that will be the next step. I'll use aluminum though.
Bob, thank you. That's a good starting point. It was right under my nose, Msc.com
I always wait for the sales. The radius I'm looking for is R .89"

Container Above bottom breadcrumb