Looking at Newall DP500 need advice

bobdog

Registered
Registered
Looking at Newall DP500 3 Axis for my Bridgeport 2J head 9 by 42 inch table . What does anybody think of one ? Or does anybody have experience with one ? Looked at all others China Japan Made . Just like a name brand one. So need thoughts of what DRO people out there are using and why ? The Newall I like because of how Scales are dont want anymore Glass Scales all ready been there.

Pay the money or take your chances. Your choice. Most sellers of DRO's now offer magnetic scales, which are all priced stupidly high...

I know a guy in Portland OR metro area with a large (to me) machine shop, probably 3 dozen or more machines, with an employee for most every one. He will no longer buy Newall. His feeling is while they once led the field in scales for dependability, that their current offerings are trouble prone and have gotten very expensive. He now puts Accurite on everything, including the one he needed to read 20 millionths so they could hold 50 millionths on a lathe part. I love my old Newall with mag scales, had it for close to 15 years ,no issues, but prices have really shot up. Almost twice what DRO PROs charge for similar unit. No reason not to use glass if you can keep reader head and scales out of the line of fire. Like I said, I really like my old Newall but that model is long gone. I am using a Chinese 2 axis on my latest lathe. I got the DRO from Matt at PM, not the cheapest but for 4 hundred bucks I am repeating within 1 or 2 tenths over 8 inch on cross slide and 38 inches on horizontal travel , I can live with that, if it last 5 years I will be happy, anything more than that is gravy. Time will tell.

I know a guy in Portland OR metro area with a large (to me) machine shop, probably 3 dozen or more machines, with an employee for most every one. He will no longer buy Newall. His feeling is while they once led the field in scales for dependability, that their current offerings are trouble prone and have gotten very expensive. He now puts Accurite on everything, including the one he needed to read 20 millionths so they could hold 50 millionths on a lathe part. I love my old Newall with mag scales, had it for close to 15 years ,no issues, but prices have really shot up. Almost twice what DRO PROs charge for similar unit. No reason not to use glass if you can keep reader head and scales out of the line of fire. Like I said, I really like my old Newall but that model is long gone. I am using a Chinese 2 axis on my latest lathe. I got the DRO from Matt at PM, not the cheapest but for 4 hundred bucks I am repeating within 1 or 2 tenths over 8 inch on cross slide and 38 inches on horizontal travel , I can live with that, if it last 5 years I will be happy, anything more than that is gravy. Time will tell.
Who is Matt from PM

Fagor is also another great brand for DROs. I wanted a Fagor or Accu-Rite but they are much too expensive for me. I'm just a hobby guy. My China stuff hasn't let me down yet, running glass scales as well.

Those magnetic scales seem nice but still expensive, I wouldn't hesitate to buy glass scales again. They are reliable as long as you install the guards with them appropiately. And if they do get dirty, they're easy to clean with denatured alcohol.

I would not hesitate to buy from Matt again. He went to the trouble to check out online the lathe I bought from another supplier to make sure he sold me correct scales. That is my only purchase from Matt, but he has been helpful beyond the call and seems like a real straight shooter to me. I know I could have bought similar dro from China direct and saved maybe a $100, I still choose Matt for his reputation for service. If I could have saved 200 I might have gambled on the Aliexpress or Ebay offerings. If I felt I had to have magnetic scales I would go with DRO PROS. I know nothing of the current offering of Mitutoyo DROs, but they use to be pretty inexpensive from mail order places, I doubt they could match the Chinese glass scale rigs for price but they might be an option. There is also Shooting Star, no longer price competitive due to the low cost Chinese glass scale offerings but last I saw Shooting Star was still in business and prices are way less than magnetic, but you will not likely hold tolerances like you can with hi resolution mag or glass scales. I know nothing about the igaging type of scales so no comment there.

Thanks for all the help bought a DRO from DRO Pros better warranty and Magnetic scales

Back