Looking at Jet GHB 1340B locally

better-lathe-than-never

Registered
Registered
Looking for a benchtop lathe - came across this locally: Jet GHB 1340B 12'x42" - it looks like it may fit in my workspace. I did some internet searching on it including ebay but I don't see much info about the machine or its spare parts availability. It has some good tooling with it and it says 'hardly used'. What would I be getting into with this thing...

sorry to hear.

Simple, buy or build a bigger shop. :)

I am not aware of a Jet Jet GHB 1340B 12'x42, there is a Jet GHB 1340A 13x40 which has been around for quite awhile and is a good reliable lathe. Lots out there and Jet is pretty good on parts, but it all depends on what you need and cost. I would find out the details on the one you are looking at, maybe some photos and the price (and the range you are considering). Also, the space that you have, you may be limited to something in the 10-12 x 30 range, but usually a big difference when you get into the 12x36 or larger lathe.

Big difference between a 3’ bed versus a 6’ bed in the space required. I went from a desktop Atlas 10” lathe to the BDB1340a clone and the space used up is a large footprint. I will likely sell this lathe in a couple years and move down to a 10 or 12x24 lathe as I will not need the length anymore.
Pierre

Yeah, it's really slim pickin's for desktop lathes here where I live and good machines have been hard to come by (plus dealing with CL sellers is hard). That machine looked very solid, but it's just too long and I can't make it fit into where it needs to live and have no option to extend so I have to wait for something smaller (i.e. 3ft) to come along.

Back