1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Looking at buying Bamford-chase 12x54 lathe. Any info would help

Discussion in 'GENERAL DISCUSSIONS' started by Playingwithmetal, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Playingwithmetal

Playingwithmetal United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Sebastopol
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

IMG_4589.JPG I have an opportunity to purchase as Bamford-Chase 12x54 lathe. I only have the one photo of it. It has a vfd installed and runs on 220 power. The owner doesn't know anything about it and I have not seen it in person as it is a few hours drive away. He said it says Portland Oregon on it. I am wondering if it is toolroom quality and a precision lathe. I am told it is in great shape and shows no signs of wear. I can't find much info on it. He told me it weighs about 4000 lbs. any info or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Also is $1,000 fair for a machine like this. Also it was made in 1945.
    Thanks.

scwhite likes this.
  2. FOMOGO

FOMOGO United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Steamboat Springs
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Try here http://www.lathes.co.uk/bamford-chase/ . I would say 1K is a very fair price for a lathe that size, if in decent condition. Seems to be a rare machine, built for a short period. Which means parts would be hard to come by, but that's true of many machines of that era, and you can make or adapt existing parts to meet your needs. I'd jump on it. Mike

scwhite likes this.
  3. scwhite

scwhite United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Shreveport
    State:
    Louisiana

-Return to Top-

$1000. Yes
    I would buy it