Looking At A Maximat V10p Lathe And Mill Any + Or - ????

Bobbycoke

Registered
Registered
Looking to buy a small Maximat V10p lathe and seperate mill any body have knowledge of these small machines ??? The mill is not a "real" mill IMHO but would suit my simple needs. It seems to be a fair price just want to know if these are good little homeowner machines or are they compatable to the CCC [cheap chinese crap] they are made in England I believe, I know some are austrian made! How are parts available?Any coments will be appreciated.....thanks Bobbycoke

They are (were) made in Austria and they are very precise. Two points though, there are NO parts available except on Ebay, and the headstock gearing is a weak point.
You should open the lathe head and check it before you buy. Also check the pushbutton switches are all working. Check for wear in all the usual places (bed, saddle, etc).
Check both headstocks lathe AND mill for broken gears.
Mark S.

Bobby, check this link if you haven't already done so: http://www.lathes.co.uk/emco/page4.html

I have not used a V10-P but they have a very good reputation for precision and longevity. Parts are no longer produced but do turn up on ebay. According to the site above, the fiber-faced headstock gears and the Zamack shift forks are the weak points on this lathe so check them when you inspect the lathe.

I own an Emco Super 11CD and have also worked fairly extensively on a Compact 8 lathe as well. All of these lathes were made in Austria and their design and manufacture reflects that; they are put together like a Swiss watch. Everything fits, everything is well thought out so it is nothing like a "kit" lathe from China.

The "P" in the model designation means it has a power cross feed; otherwise, it is the same as a standard V10 or Mentor lathe.

The mill that attaches to the side of the lathe bed is a light duty unit. The lathe's cross slide is the milling platform and it is a round column mill so accuracy is not going to come close to a stand alone milling machine. However, if your milling needs are simple then it will do until you buy a better mill.

You might want to join the Yahoo group here:https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/emcoV10lathe/info?referrer=Over_There

Ask your questions there - lots of guys with this lathe on that site.

I had one in my shop at start-up medical company and yes they are well made plus accuracy is there but this unit needed to be raised up to prevent back pain from stooping over and it was noisy. Solved that with sound deadening self adhesive sheets.

Back