LOOK WHAT I PICKED UP FOR $50 !!!! Tool Gloat

Hard to believe they are still in business today and still selling Shopsmiths.
The new Mark 7 base price of $4,279.00. Far cry from $50! Anyways, have no room for it even if I could afford it!

Hi Mike, do you still have the shop smith working after 4 years, do you use it much ?

Hi Mike, do you still have the shop smith working after 4 years, do you use it much ?
Hey brother,
i do not have that shopsmith anymore, i gave it to an old neighbor friend about a year after i got it ship shape.
i did replace it with an 1980's version. it has 1.25 hp instead of the 3/4 hp of the old greenie which is a great improvement.
i use the shopsmith mostly for the 12" sanding disc, 10" saw(dado too), and the lathe functions, mostly.
i do have the shaper and router blades, but have not tried them as of yet.
the drill press function works very well for wood bits, but i have 2 other drill presses in the shop so it rarely has seen duty in that facility.

i turned a slug for a mallet head from a seasoned 6" diameter x 8" long straight treelimb valley oak , on the shop smith
it was surprisingly forgiving, although it was a bit scary to start gouging on spinning hardwood.
after a few moments of gouging, the imbalance of the slug started to feel better and run smoother.
i ended up taking the slug down to 4- 3/4" x 7"
it is seasoning for another summer before i bore the handle hole through.

the shopsmith seems to get used a couple times a month on average, but i'd use it more if i had more fun shoptime :grin big:

Last edited:
Hard to believe they are still in business today and still selling Shopsmiths.
The new Mark 7 base price of $4,279.00. Far cry from $50! Anyways, have no room for it even if I could afford it!
:bawling:
they are a great machine, but i don't know that i'd get one @ $4K
the new ones are all lit up like a Christmas tree and have fancy LCD displays and superior speed control.
BUT
they will not be functional 50 years from now- the funny part is there is a good chance that the good old school 50's greenie just might still function in another 50 years if maintained!

Great find at a great price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do I always overpay grummbbbllle
Hi Brockwood,
well, i'll put it this way- the sun does shine on a dog's backside every once and awhile.
it was just the sun shining on me that day to be truthful.
i was in the right place at the right time :grin big:

Back