Longest Yard sale

bcall2043

Active User
Registered
My wife just reminded me that the "Longest Yard Sale" that runs from Adddison, Michigan to Gadsden, Alabama and roughly follows route 127 is coming up in about a month. What does this have to do with Hobby-Machinist? I have found some cool bargains in tools and project materials at yard sales. If you don't look as things for what they are but what they could be, you will be surprised at what you see. You never know what may be in others stuff that they have gathered up and will have laid out for the picking. For those close enough this could be an event.

I have included one link for more information: http://www.127sale.com/ and for all the pros and cons do a search on "longest yard sale".

I haven't been in several years but plan on trying to make this one.

Benny

We did that one year on Motorcycles, and a Pickup I'd bet we covered 100 Miles that day and didn't see 5%. I'd love to do it again, but W/O the now EX SWMBO. :)
it's really an Activity best enjoyed with Friends and Motorcycles make better! but go with a plan.

Wow. Now that's cool. I love the hunt of finding something you didn't now you needed. :p That reminds me... new American Pickers show tonight. :)

Or---- You could stop by our booth and say Hey---- we have been doing this show for 13 years-----it's only about 17 miles from the house.
We set up just north of Russell Springs Ky----- You could spend the whole day shopping with 5 miles of our location---it's one of the best spots on the whole route. I have a showroom full of Cedar furniture that I am trying to get rid of----- I stopped building this stuff several years ago and am still working on cleaning out the stock.

The wife and I spent Friday and Saturday going from yard sale to yard sale along hwy 127 where the "Longest Yard Sale" was taking place this week. We picked up hwy 127 on the north side of Chattanooga, TN and were able to get just north of hwy I-40 east of Nashville, TN in the two days. This was a distance of a little over 90 miles. I blamed our not getting to see more of the sales on the wife taking too long stopping and looking at her kind of stuff.:lmao:

There was lots of stuff but not a lot of machinist toys. I saw some things but for the most part nothing I wanted or needed. A lot of the vendors are professional pickers and they think any old rusty tool is a collectable and worth a lot more than it is.:nuts: They have been watching too much television.

I did come a way with some reasonable tool buys. I got a new made in USA, Morse brand, 3/4 inch drill bit for about one third the cost of an import one. I have a drill this size but I thought of Charley Davidson missplacing his 3/4 inch drill bit and I thought having a spare would be a good thing. Picked up a soap stone and holder, also as a spare, for 50 cents. Finally I bought a nice set of telescoping gages made in Japan by Yuasa. They fit bores 5/16 inch through 6 inches. Not made in the USA but at least not some of that junk made in that other country. Found a nice machinist text book for $7 but passed on it as I have too many books on the subject already.

It was hot, humid, and at times rain showers but it was fun and the foods were good. We got home about dark yesterday and slept late this morning. Would I do it again? Yes, but not until next year!

Benny

My best buy was a small pile of hand tools that where priced right----------I just don't think I need 4 snap-on speed ratchets. I have two of them listed for sale here. We where real happy to see the nice crowds of folks shopping---- maybe things are getting better.:thinking:
Lots of are shows have been way down.

Back