Long stock whipping in spindle

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
What do you use to keep long (4') rod from rattling and whipping in spindle. It sticks out about 20" and is 5/8 in a 1 3/8 spindle. Mounted in collet chuck. Not dangerous at 400 RPM but annoying!
Thanks
Aaron

I fit a flopper stopper over the rear of the spindle. A flopper stopper is a nylon piece with a thru hole slightly larger than the stock. This will stabilize the stock and stop the whipping. The fit to the spindle should not be loose.

"Billy G"

You say not dangerous? I would be very careful!!!!!! I have personally seen bar stock that was hanging out the end of the headstock not supported. And in the blink of an eye it whipped/bent into a 90° and started to lift the lathe off the floor when the stock turned that way. I needed a change in underwear after that too!

Yeah I wouldn't say it's not dangerous. I personally haven't seen the bad effects of something like that, and I hope I never do. I would build a spider on the rear of the spindle. There are plenty of free plans for an outboard spider. Anything to help support that 20" of stock hanging out the rear is better than nothing.

I have seen the whipper! It sure grabs ones attention.
Pierre

I use lengths of rope from the ceiling. It worked on 3 feet of 6mm stainless hanging out the end, supported in 2 places.

A little off topic but I saw a video a year or so ago where the operator had put a hole in the wall behind his lathe head-stock and he supported a shaft on the other side of the wall! It was one of the guys that does machining for a living. It was not a whipper (hopefully) as it was about 2 or 3" in diameter I think. His support was a floor-stand that had bearings at the top like a steady rest (if I recall right).

I had to turn the ends on some 1/2" rods that were 7 feet long. I supported them with a triangular shaped support made from 2x4s that was temporarily nailed to the adjacent wall studs. I drilled a little bit bigger hole in the right spot after it was in place, using the extended-out rod to place it at right spot. I used the spiders on the lathe too. It worked pretty well for the short time it took to make the support.

An easy method it to make a spindle guide from plastic or aluminum.
Turn the OD slightly smaller then the spindle bore and drill it slightly larger then the stock, drill and tap a hole for a set screw to hold it in place at the back end of the spindle.
This works a charm.

Like so
spindleplug-M.jpg

Back