Logan Model 200 Servo Threading

Hiya Jon,
Just wanted to touch bases with U again ! been too long..
i hope all's well w U & family
Any news?

Life is good, thanks for asking. My wife and I both had the WuFlu in February, along with everybody else it seems, but it wasn't a big deal. Hardest part was being so exhausted for a week after. I'm the banjo player in a bluegrass band, we have five gigs this month (one of them tonight), and I have a new Bose sound system set up behind me that I'm figuring out. We have a third granddaughter due in the next couple of weeks. Otherwise, not much going on :).

I fire up the lathe and do some kind of project every week or so, it seems. Yesterday I put together a flagpole from 3/4" pipe and some aluminum flag rings I got from Amazon because I was fed up with the flimsy Chinese poles that kept breaking in our persistent winds. Had to bore out the rings about .050" to fit the pipe, and also had to set up on the mill and bore out the mounting bracket. This one ought to last. This afternoon I need to make a mike stand adapter for the new mixer since the local music store is sold out of them.

Hope you are well, too.

sorry so long in replying Jon, Yes all good, thanks:)
i actually had but got blocked! more on that later..
Anyway glad to hear you are ok, despite the hoorid bug.
hope the gig went ok, with the new Bose system!
my wife would be green re new (or old) granddaughter.
glad u still making chips - therapy! Winds there in New Mexico sound bad..
Am curious as to any new iterations to your ELS firmware --- blue pill STM adventures!!??

Not sure if this qualifies but, I added independent power feed to my HF 7x10 so I could feed super slow, and change direction on the fly.

A 12V DC brushed gearmotor is the dumbest spinner out there but, if you control the voltage, you control the RPM, within reason. I added an extension shaft to the leadscrew, then a shaft coupler, then the motor. An In-Stop-Out DPDT latching switch applies power from the regulated power supply which controls the speed.

At 12V, the gearmotor turns at 12 RPM, at 6V its 6 RPM etc. Can't go much below 3V but that's real slow for a leadscrew.

The gearmotors are about $35, the regulated PS is about $65. This setup is by no means a precision approach, but it's cheap and it works for me, It sounds creaky too, like the operator :).

Leadscrew drive.jpg

Reactions: rwm
I have just ordered the ELS kit from Rocketronics.de for my Myford ML10 because I have problems with my hand but I can still press buttons, haven’t received it yet but have worked out where to fit the Z axis closed loop stepper motor and the encoder but not making any brackets until I get the kit because you know how it is we think that would be ideal there then we change our minds, haven’t worked out the crosslide motor mount position yet but hopefully on back of crosslide because it will be out of the way, I will start a new post when things are progressing.
Dell

Back