Logan 820 Spindle Took Damage

Xnerd

Registered
Registered
Short and sweet

I have zero idea how this happened and it may have been kicked thus from when I purchased the lathe, but yesterday to my horror I noticed that my spindle has a 1/4 inch of its inner surface bored or wore considerably down!

I have never run a boring rod past the jaws if this machine so I'm at a loss,

I have a spindle for a Logan 10inch 1821 sitting on the shelf but do not know if these are compatible
My 820 has flat belt pulling and the 1821 has v bell some think there is a groove in the on the spindle to align the grub./set screw in but not certain.

I'm really freaking out because I get no measurable run out at a foot with the damaged spindle with I hear us rare. I know that this lathe was hardware store window decoration for 45 years and was never run.

Question

Is there a site that where I might be able to research this compatibility ?
Lathes. Com was no help for this specifically and no 820 schematics are publicly available at the sub assembly level

Although some head stock parts changed over time it appears that the part number for the 820 spindles was always LA-660. I know nothing about the 1821.

Although some head stock parts changed over time it appears that the part number for the 820 spindles was always LA-660. I know nothing about the 1821.

Thank you for the information where exactly did you find it when I search for the parts through Logan actuator it only brought up an 11 inch spindle. . . . the length of these two spindles is identical I guess the only way I'm really going to tell if they're both head studs apart something I really didn't want to do it unless I knew for sure it was a perfect match

I think they may be compatible I just found this on a part number conversion chart through the Logan actuator company

LP-1303 LA-660 Spindle, 1-1/2" - 8 Th'd 12-3/4" Lg (800 & 1800 Series 10" Lathes) I may have gotten very lucky with this one

Well I finally replaced the spindle and I'm ****** off. Let me back up for a minute it started out with a notice there was a busted tooth on my back gear. So I got on eBay and found one really super cheap got it in the mail today and decided since I was going to tear the headstock apart I might as well throw the other spindle that I had in. Not that the original spindle was causing me much of a problem I rarely turn things between centers in the slight damage on the inside of the spindle nose hasn't really affected anything.

The old spindle was absolutely wonderful is there such a thing as an exceptionally good spindle? Because I could not measure any run out on the nose even with my last word I couldn't measure any nothing nada. I thought that my life word was screwed up because I couldn't get it to move it was perfect like glass. So I replace the spindle and test the IR and what do you know 001 run out the nose ! I'm not looking forward to trying to do anything for Precision on this one. I have the hardinge that I've started to get tools for but there's problems there too. I can't find high speed Steel that's pre hardened to save my life so I can't do any complex form tools which I really need to do. It sucks trying to figure out everything by yourself LOL.

I hate coming here and just asking question after question it's irritating even to me LOL

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

ok, tell me again, what's the problem?

The original spindle had a little bit of damage inside the nose something ran into far like a boring bar and took out a little bit of meat from the inside of the spindle that was the original post. I hadn't changed it because everything was working fine even turning in between centers it really didn't even affect the taper that much everything was dead nuts on.

I had to tear apart the headstock to switch back gears because I had a busted tooth I noticed the other day so I figured I'd change the spindle out while I was at it. After switching it out I'm having regrets the new spindle has run out where the old spindle was absolutely dead nuts perfect on the nose

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Back