Logan 200 parts for the back gear engagement pin

OK here is the full info with a picture of all the parts needed.
My Logan 200 is apparently an earlier one. It doesn't use what is normally found in the diagrams. I'm sure lots of people have this so this is what you need and how to put it together/reverse for taking apart of course!
You will need a 7/32" diameter spring 3/4" long. I bought a longer one and cut it down. A 7/32" ball bearing. I actually had mine but it was not installed correctly. The bull gear pin. and a roll pin. The roll pin is 3/32" diameter by 3/4" long. Longer is OK. There's room around where it goes in for this to be installed. (Note: I put a slight bevel on my engagement pin using the belt sander to allow Finding the hole in the pulley easier. Don't go crazy with this or you'll make it have slop around the pin! It's not needed but it's what I did.)

First! Clean all the parts. Now is the time to remove any paint that might be on the engagement pin and any burs. Once clean lightly oil everything.

Starting off with everything uninstalled. There is a blind hole UNDER the engagement pin. I did not notice this at first until I was told it was there. Caused me to spend lots of time pondering how it worked...LOL even though it's way simpler than I had though. Anyway, You put the spring in the blind hole. On top of that goes the bearing. make sure if you shortened your spring like I did to place the factory part of the coil up towards the bearing this will keep the bearing from lodging itself into the spring and becoming useless. (Probably what happened with mine originally.)

After this comes the tricky part. Now you have a ball bearing on a spring...push the Engagement pin in up to the spring. Make sure the flat part of the engagement pin is facing UP towards the outside of the gear. From the top you will need to work the ball bearing and spring down while keeping LIGHT pressure on the engagement pin. If you don't you will bend over the tiny spring and be back where you started...at the parts store. I was chasing my ball bearing around several times while doing this. Anyway, The ball bearing will also have a tendency to come out the "side/back of the gear hole" when you get close to having it all the way down. In order to combat this I just stuck a Hex key in the back loosely to block the hole. As well, I pushed the ball bearing down using a dental style pick. The inexpensive type from HBF.

Now that you have the everything pushed down and under the engagement pin. The pin should be pushed forward into the hole enough that all that you see looking down into the "top/outer edge hole" is the flat part of the pin. The purpose of the Roll pin is to hold the engagement pin from ever moving too far from the ball bearing underneath. Which would cause it to become dislodged and be broken like mine. So Drive the roll pin into place with a punch. Careful not to mushroom the roll pin..

Now you should be able to hear the ball bearing click into it's grooves cleanly now.

Go in reverse starting with the roll pin to remove.

If I missed something by all means feel free to tell me or ask me.

Paul

Last edited:
Back