Logan 1957 Under Cabinet Tension Assembly Help

Jon In Tucson

Active User
Registered
I have a Logan 11"lathe, model 1957, serial number 64747. It has a V belt drive and the belt tension assembly is missing from it. Looking at the parts manual for this machine, I find a lever/eccentric threaded stud mechanism located in the front of the motor house. On my lathe none of the mounting holes are in those locations. My lathe has three mounting holes on the front right side frame about 20" up. This is a 1953 year production after April according to the Logan Actuator web site. Does this look familiar to another model? Attached is a picture from a restoration thread from MB Frontier. His looks so much cleaner than mine.
IMG_1233_zpsxbzybxyi Logan 1957 under cabinet.jpg 20160822_095905.jpg
I have no idea why my picture ended up sideways... God bless.

Jon In Tucson

Last edited:
Hi Jon, that looks like mine, so if you are missing something, I am too. But mine works fine, with or without. The tensioner is that bolt sticking down in the center of the upper pulley. It has a nut on top that is adjusted in concert with the nut shown and tensions for the upper pulley with the spindle. Bottom pulley to top pulley is adjusted with the lever. Not sure how motor pulley to lower pulley is adjusted, never had to fuss with that.

Hi eeler1,
The rub is, I don't have any of the assembly and my parts manual doesn't show this assembly. It shows a lever in the front of the under cabinet. Do you have any part numbers for the assembly ? God bless.
Jon In Tucson

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
edit: I added a pic of my under cabinet to the original post. You can see what I'm missing.

Last edited:
Does any one have a parts diagram that shows that lever assembly? Thanks and God bless.
Jon In Tucson

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I added a picture of my under cabinet to the first post to show what I'm missing. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

Doh!! Now I get it. My parts list shows that different mechanism for tensioning/loosening the 4-step pulleys, than what I actually have in my cabinet. Yours must be what is shown in the parts list, since that style doesn't include the bracket and lever assembly that bolts into the cabinet.

anyway, what you need is a way to tension/loosen those pulleys. I believe yours originally had a lever with a turnstyle arrangement, kind of like the belt tensioner on some of the Logan and SB bench top models. Might have to just cobble something together. Most anything would be better than hooking that spring to the motor and pulley bracket.

Oh, no, I don't have a diagram of what's actually in my cabinet.

Have you tried contacting Logan?

Last edited:
Doh!! Now I get it. My parts list shows that different mechanism for tensioning/loosening the 4-step pulleys, than what I actually have in my cabinet. Yours must be what is shown in the parts list, since that style doesn't include the bracket and lever assembly that bolts into the cabinet.

anyway, what you need is a way to tension/loosen those pulleys. I believe yours originally had a lever with a turnstyle arrangement, kind of like the belt tensioner on some of the Logan and SB bench top models. Might have to just cobble something together. Most anything would be better than hooking that spring to the motor and pulley bracket.

Oh, no, I don't have a diagram of what's actually in my cabinet.

Have you tried contacting Logan?

I have three threaded holes in the right side of the cabinet but nothing in the floor. So I suspect mine originally was like yours. I haven't contacted Logan yet, although I have posted a thread on the Yahoo Logan group that Scott Logan moderates. I don't see even in the Logan website any under cabinet parts. It is frustrating as even on eBay I haven't seen any tension assemblies similar to yours or what my parts manual up for sale. Thanks and God bless.
Jon in Tucson

Hmm, nothing in the floor on mine either. Scott doesn't seem to be at that site often, but he'll problem chime in at some point. I can see the parts you are missing, and could take some photos of my tensioner assembly, if that would help.

Hi, Jon.

Sorry to see you are still trying to locate belt tensioner parts. FWIW, I have had good luck contacting Scott Logan via phone at (815) 943-9500. He has always been very helpful for me.

Hi, Jon.

Sorry to see you are still trying to locate belt tensioner parts. FWIW, I have had good luck contacting Scott Logan via phone at (815) 943-9500. He has always been very helpful for me.

Thanks Mike,
I sent an inquiry to Logan lathe division this morning and received a reply in about an hour. Can't complain about that! It appears that my lathe is an earlier variation of the model 1957. They sent a pdf of the underneath cabinet drive assembly with all the part numbers I need. I am a happy camper... Now if I can only find one of those assemblies. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

Attachments

• 2120 - Drive.pdf
    288.8 KB · Views: 27
Back