Logan 12" 2957v Restoration

toolman147

Registered
Registered
Hi...I just purchased a Logan 12" 2957V lathe and am beginning to clean and restore the lathe. I had been able to use the lathe a little before I started so I knew it need a lil TLC. It needed a rack pinion gear due to wear and there was a little too much backlash in the carriage. I started with the saddle/apron. After removing it and opening it up I discovered that some clutch parts (spring & ball thrust bearings), a brass (oiless) bearing, Crossfeed screw & nut, felts, saddle lock and some misc. woodruff keys and oilers would also be needed. I finished the apron (will be doing the saddle/cross slide/tool rest next.
Here are some pictures:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Looks great. Now you will be forced to do the rest of the lathe to match!

The saddle looks like it needs scraped in....you may want to look into having it done if you are this far along....and if you are like me, 3 years later I am still messing with it! Tim

What do you mean by "scraped in"? Its been sliding back and forth on the ways for 63 years... What would "scraping" do to make it better.
My plan is to go over the Lathe...clean...replace any obviously worn parts...paint...reassemble the lathe...adjust/set-up...then make some test cuts to see how accurate (or not) it is capable of being (before I do any kind of metal removal anywhere on the lathe). I know its worn in places, (like I said its 63 years old) but it's a home shop lathe that will not be making any NASA parts.

Last edited:
Scraping is a process of creating bearing surface on all of the ways and dovetails. As it has worn over the years, the surfaces wear, scraping brings them back into tolerances and allow for increased accuracy and the ability to be properly lubed. look at some of the posts on scraping in the restoration part of the forum and download the Connley book if you want to learn more. Tim

I think I'll continue to get it cleaned up, replace anything necessary, and get it back together. This is my first lathe...I want to use the lathe. I definitely don't want it torn apart for 3 years. I have the proper lube and will keep it oiled when I use it...it's not in a production environment so I'm sure it won't wear much more (it has taken 63 years to get this much wear) till I see how it works and how accurate it can be. I'm sure as I get more knowledge and ability I will be able to determine if more needs to be done to the lathe and if it's worth doing it. Thanks.
Terry

Well the bed is all blasted and painted. The Pedistal base is ready for blasting and paint (I removed the motor and variable speed assembly). I also cleaned the QC gear box (all the gears look good) and it's ready for paint also.
Next is the Headstock, Back gears and reverse gears. Then I can start re-assembling my Lathe!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Reactions: Ski
Well.. The pedestal base is blasted (crushed glass media), primer and painted. I mixed my own color for the base from Ace Hardware version of Rustoleum (Ace Rust Stop), grey,blue and black. Can't wait to start re-assembling it!
Terry
Here are a few pictures...

IMG_3703.JPG IMG_3710.JPG IMG_3712.JPG IMG_3714.JPG IMG_3720.JPG

Well it's starting to come together... I have the Pedistal base leveled (new feet from Enco) and the bed installed and leveled. The saddle and apron installed and the Gibs adjusted. The QC Gearbox installed. The headstock is sitting on the bed, but the mounting bolts/brackets need cleaned yet. The motor and variable speed set-up and belts need inspected/cleaned and installed yet...Plus the Tailstock assembly needs some parts/cleaned/painted and installed too.

I picked up some way oil (#2 & #4) along with some spindle oil from Enco.
What is the best lubricant for the open gears, the QC gears, the Lead Screw/Rack Pinion Gear and in the Apron well?
Thanks,
Terry

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

That really is an attractive color for the machine! Nice job!

Back