Logan 11" Lathe - Wiring

there is no standalone maker mark on the switch

anyone else out there with a logan 11" with a reversing switch? does this look stock?

No Fly post 10 doesn't give me enough. I also need a better explanation of the wire colors in this picture: I need the bundles and colors one by one. That one you are touching, what color is that big wire that's tied to red?
Mark

ok, here we go:

1. a bundle of green, red, black and white in a piece of 12/4 rubbercord went from the reversing switch to the motor

2. Green: green was originally attached to one of the two red motor wires - this is the pair that is in the picture you quoted and asked what color it was

3. Red: as per picture below, red was attached to the other red motor wire

20170617_193556.jpg

4. Black: as per the picture below, Black was attached to 2 motor wires, one green and one blue/green:

View attachment 23 20170617_193604.jpg 5864[/ATTACH]

5. White: also in the picture above, you can see white attached to the final 2 motor wires - don't be fooled by the appearance of what you see - the motor wire colors correspond most closely to white and yellow

6. Reversing switch: to see where the other end of those four wires above connect to the reversing switch, please reference the drawing below - it is the wire on the right entitled LOAD (I don't know if that is correct use of that word) - recall an earlier post where I said that the drawing is of the switch upside down - so what appears left in the drawing is actually right when the switch is installed

I do not know what the "start cap" is - can you please elaborate a bit on that?

thanks20170617_193556.jpg 20170617_193604.jpg

20170616_174141 (1).jpg

Fly it looks like the two pairs that read "1.5" (I assume ohms) are the run windings, but the "6.5" pair doesn't make sense yet. That's why you need to check the start cap.
Mark

yes - i was reading Ohms - so 1.5 ohms of resitance on two bundles (the white/yellow bundle and green/blue-green bundle) and 6.5 ohms on the red/red bundle

i do not know what the start cap is

Also Fly what kind of meter do you have? Digital or analog (needle type)? Can you post a pic of it?
Do you know how to post pictures using the "upload a file" button? (saves time)
Mark

Mark - it is a Fluke 117 - picture below shows the setting i used and where the leads were plugged in

20170619_132229.jpg

That reversing switch looks different from most I am familiar with- does it have a make and model # ?
Mark
View attachment 235858
OK

I have ID'd the switch

i have added a bunch of photos of the label from inside the switch cover to the album (link below) - it gives various diagrams (not sure if any match what we are doing) - it is a Furnas "drum" switch - i believe the model is D2058 (or that is the id of the label)

https://goo.gl/photos/s1zNnkMc1c65ipu86

an internet search shows this - not sure if it is exactly my model (also it is showing 115 only and not 220)

drumswitch001.jpg

finally there is this thread from PM (again not sure if it is exactly my model - this is an "instant reverse" - i don't know if i have that) - post 18 seemed particularly interesting:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...nas-drum-switch-instant-reverse-motor-179232/

Thanks Fly we are making some progress (even tho it may not seem like it yet)
The start cap (capacitor) is under that "bump" cover on the side of the motor.
Mark
PS your Fluke will measure capacitance directly. Just compare the reading with the value printed on the cap.

Last edited:
Hi Flyrod: I have determined your machine was in fact wired for 115 volts, and probably did work. Go ahead and check the cap (disconnect at least one cap lead first)
and if you can wait 24 hours I can post a clear diagram on how to connect for 230 volts.
Mark

Fly this should get you going provided your start cap and centrifugal switch in the motor are ok:
Be sure to provide a solid ground to the motor and drum switch case. (not shown in schematic)
If the motor rotation is opposite the switch label swap the red wires OR the blue and yellow.
Mark S.
Motschem1dm.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you Mark!

Back in shop next week

Will report back

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back