Locomotive Build Question

SE18

Active User
Registered
I recently went from building home model railroad cars and locomotives to becoming interested in building a real working railroad, since I plan to retire to Harrisonburg VA within a few years and acquire a lot of land for the RR to run through. I'm not sure, btw, if this is the right forum for asking questions of the 1:1 type.

So I acquired 5 kiln cars and assorted wheel sets and am looking to bank some rails in the 8-30# range. But my question has to do with the locomotive engine.

Right now, I'm welding some C channel into a 38"x 80" frame which will be bolted the axle/wheels/pedestals and atop which will mount some sort of engine.

There are several options I have that I need help sorting thru.

1. I could acquire one already built, spending up to $5K (my budget). That would certainly lessen the work needed to be done but it wouldn't be something I created. Also, there's become a huge following in 1:1 railways and these get snapped up quickly and the price is inflated.

2. I'm not enough of a machinist to make castings and cylinders, but I thought to acquire a generator and AC motor (with slow RPM and high torque) and find some gears to make it all work. A site from someone who tried this might help.

3. I could buy this F-M gas engine, but if it runs seems sketchy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/182294986025?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true (wish the seller would have said more)

4. I could take apart a ride on tractor or quad and try that.

Any suggestions welcome

Since I can find no specific board for your question it can remain here. Good luck in your quest.

"Billy G" "Global Moderator"

Can you post a picture or two of what you are building? And maybe an example of the end goal? Not knowing anything about railroading, some perspective would be helpful here.

That sounds very interesting. What scale would this be in? I am sure that pictures would be a great help also, lots of smart cookies here.

it's 1:1; with kiln cars being the rolling stock. Not imitating any railway (as miniatures do); it's purely function over form, as i'm not trying to replicate any particular locomotive. i supplied a photo, I'm not yet in the place I want to be which is the Shendendoahs, so not sure what other photos you need. It's a 2' gauge railway.

13179070_231720287206241_878030268245700494_n.jpg

13226876_231720283872908_55818521238083159_n.jpg

OK, that's helpful. I was just trying to get some idea of the scale and potential weight.

As I suspected, the F-M gas engine might be on the small side. Down the road from me a bit there is one of these that has an old (60's) 220 HP Cummins engine in it, OK that one is probably overkill. ;) But I think you are going to need something larger than a single cylinder engine.

If you were closer to me, I have a complete, and I think running, ~80HP Continental, 6 cyl flathead, complete with automatic transaxle out of a fork lift. That would be the perfect power unit for what you are doing. A 2:1 chain & sprocket or gear drive would give you a top speed of about 5 MPH, and it has huge brakes designed for stopping about 15,000 lb.

If you want to pay for the shipping, I'll give it to you. I'm guessing close to 2000 lbs.

Wow that would be neat, wonder if I could get the neighbors to let me run track in there back yards. Living in town does have its down side.

Jim, that sounds like a great offer and I'd like to take you up on that and then report progress on the build here on this forum. I just want to ensure shipping doesn't cost more than the engine. Could anyone recommend a shipper? My son in law has a tractor trailer but he lives in Virginia and shipping might be cheaper than him driving out there and back.

Maybe your son-in-law can get a load out this way and a partial load back. The assembly is about 4 feet wide x 6 feet long. I can put it on a pallet and load it into a trailer or onto a flatbed. I can handle a 18 wheeler in my driveway.

Thanks; I will let him know. It might be a while so didn't know if you are in any rush to get rid of it.

BTW, I was in Eugene this summer to cover the Olympic trials for the US Army, as I'm a DOD journalist; that's the only time I've ever been in Oregon

Picked up some kiln car wheels this morning which I'll have to reguage to 2' (they're 48" gauge)

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

Back