Locating A Part To Be Drilled On Center. ?

WesPete66

Active User
Registered
How does one set up a piece of round bar stock when you want to drill a small cross hole, with the hole perpendicular to part's center line (like for a spring pin or cotter)? My first attempt at locating it by eye wasn't so good, and the cotter was visibly not on center. (.75 dia bar & .12 thru hole)
I have a basic drill press with a plain vise I can attach to the table (with no x / y movement). I do have dial indicators & base, but I have no means of measuring movement on X / Y axis.
Also should I center drill first to keep the drill from pushing off the round stock?

both are very similar to the way i do it, put a center drill in the chuck lower it down tell you touch the piece, then move it back and forth tell there is line on the piece, find center of the line and drill the center hole.

An XY table with an edge finder would be the most accurate. I've used this little gizmo for non critical cross holes.

View attachment 131431
I have one of these tools, one of the most inaccurate tools that I have ever bought, I will give it away to the first person that wants it, shipping included.
As to the question asked touch off one side and move on from there, simple and expedient.

Thanks to all for the replies!
Actually I was looking at the v-blocks recently, the ones with the groove cut in the bottom that lets you align a drill bit to the slot. Are those worth the money? It's gotta be better than what I have now..

Back