Llambrich drill chucks?

I found a reasonably decent looking ued jacobs 18n for $150. The taper shank isn't in great shape and there is no apparent way to get the shank out. No place for a wedge to drive it off. Might be a challenge to fix it up.
You might could cut a groove in the unsuitable arbor in the lathe using one of those "car-bide ins-ert" doodads that are all the rage with the kids these days, then use the Jacobs wedges. I haven't tried it, but that's what I'd do if it were in front of me. Of course, I'd have to buy some inserts first.

You might could cut a groove in the unsuitable arbor in the lathe using one of those "car-bide ins-ert" doodads that are all the rage with the kids these days, then use the Jacobs wedges. I haven't tried it, but that's what I'd do if it were in front of me. Of course, I'd have to buy some inserts first.
I might try using my chop saw to cut the shank part way off and drill and tap through the softer core and drive it off with a screw.

I got the shank out the coolest way possible....if aliens flew down and levitated it out with a laser beam it wouldn't have been any cooler. I used a crappy carbide tipped drill bit to drill through the hard layer of steel on the end of the shank. Then I drilled all the way to the hardened layer at the other end with regular hss. Then I sacrificed the poor carbide tipped bit finishing the hole at the other end.

I filled the cavity and hole with unlabeled oil and put a 1/4" rod into the hole. I wrapped the top of the hole with a rag to prevent a mess and I whacked the rod with a drilling hammer. Popped that sucker right out.

It was beautiful.....

20240426_182117.jpg

Not much damage.

20240426_182204.jpg

This is the line in the jaws that is in very good shape. All three jaws look really quite good. Most of the other chucks had so much wear that line was gone.

20240426_182338.jpg

Very smooth chuck. I won't know about run out until the new arbor arrives next week.

Back