Live center (extended nose MT3) for 1340 lathe?

Thanks for all the feedback.

Here's where I landed. One of my buddies reminded me of a deal I'd seen on ebay and I was able to buy a brand spanking new quad bearing Royal at a very, very attractive price.

It is a MT#2 so I will use a MT3 to MT2 adapter. Would have preferred a MT3 but the deal was over the top and I couldn't pass it up.

I called Royal and spoke to them about it being a bit stiff. They confirmed that 4 bearings and a seal make this appear to be too stiff when new but it will break in.

EDIT: Royal tech service also told me it would run hot in the beginning and not to worry about it. Just keep enough axial compression on it so it doesn't slip and gall the tip.

royal center.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the feedback.

Here's where I landed. One of my buddies reminded me of a deal I'd seen on ebay and I was able to buy a brand spanking new quad bearing Royal at a very, very attractive price.

It is a MT#2 so I will use a MT3 to MT2 adapter. Would have preferred a MT3 but the deal was over the top and I couldn't pass it up.

I called Royal and spoke to them about it being a bit stiff. They confirmed that 4 bearings and a seal make this appear to be too stiff when new but it will break in.

View attachment 246217

Wise choice, Alan.

Wow that’s a nice looking piece!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back