Live center (extended nose MT3) for 1340 lathe?

Alan H.

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Looking to buy an extended nose live center for my 1340 lathe. It has a MT#3 tailstock and the speed is 2500 rpm or less.

I have started looking at various options but would value the opinions and insights here on the board.

I do a lot of AR15 barrel turning, I use regular live centers, the lower end ones from Royal brand, the ones I could buy cheaply compared to their extended nose versions. I have to admit, there are times I wish I have the extended nose.

I haven't been willing to pay the prices that are asked for new or gently used.
I regularly wish I had a MT5 or even an MT4 long nose (I could sleeve up).
I'm hoping to make one.
Yes, I know the total time and material may cost more than buying one.
But , I enjoy making this stuff, I'm not running a production shop, and quality will directly reflect my efforts and skill or lack thereof.

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
Alan

Excellent timing, I am interested in a long nose center for the 1340 as well!

I regularly wish I had a MT5 or even an MT4 long nose (I could sleeve up).
I'm hoping to make one.
Yes, I know the total time and material may cost more than buying one.

Daryl
MN

I think I have a couple of mt5 live centers that I will never use. At least I think they are 5's, not really sure and I don't know how to figure out the size. And they are not longnose but maybe they could be changed out. They are older units. I would be interested in a trade if you think you could use them, I'll get pics and pm them if you are.

I think I have a couple of mt5 live centers that I will never use. At least I think they are 5's, not really sure and I don't know how to figure out the size. And they are not longnose but maybe they could be changed out. They are older units. I would be interested in a trade if you think you could use them, I'll get pics and pm them if you are.

Unfortunately I have multiple extra MT4 and MT5 standard live centers.
However, if they are different from what I already have I would be interested in some trades or possibly a purchase. Please PM me some pics/description. And identify if there is anything for which you've been hoping.

Daryl
MN

A couple brands worth looking into
Zlive center
Skota
They are a bit more than the overseas models.

I also have a Shar's extended point live center, works well, but was kind of gritty and stiff at first. I added oil and ran it on the lathe for awhile and it is better, but still a bit stiff. Z-Live has what looks like the same exact model, just more expensive. Both of these look like a copy of the Royal extended point. The Shar's extended point live center that I have has a large body (2.31") that can sometimes interfere with the QCTP, this diameter is the exact same as the Royal below. The Skoda CNC point looks to be a bit more compact, but can't justify the 3X price. I have a Swiss standard point live center with has a pressure indicator, and it is like butter.

Skoda CNC Live center
https://www.ajaxtoolsupply.com/skmtprcnclic1.html

Royal Products 10213 model is 4X the price, at Zoro with their 25% off sale running now.
https://www.zoro.com/royal-products-hss-live-center-3-mt-cnc-point-10213/i/G2041107/?q=Royal+++10213

Back