[Shaper] Little problem with shaper table

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
I was trying to lower the shaper table for the first time today and made a little discovery. It's broken. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about repairing it so I thought I'd troll around for some ideas.

The problem:

The table is raised/lowered on a threaded shaft. On this QC shaper that shaft is two pieces. There is an inner rod that is attached to the gear and turns. There is a threaded "tube" that the turning shaft is surrounded by. The threaded "tube" is held on to the shaft by a single set screw. The set screw is threaded on to the "tube" and a small "dowel" on the inside end engages a hole on the inner shaft. Over the year the threads in the "tube" part are getting pretty beat up and loose. The bigger problem though is that it looks as if someone tried to raise/lower the table without the shaft and tube being held together. This wallowed out the hole in the shaft as well as made a huge, deep gash for about 1 1/2" down the length of the shaft.

I did a quick drawing to try and give a better idea of what it looks like:

Without the two being held together the inner shaft spins and the threaded tube remains stationary. It don't go up and down! :p

Any thoughts or questions?

Thanks,

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron,

Can't you just drill a new hole in an undamaged area of the shaft? Or may even a couple of them just to be safe.

Tom

Is that setscrew perhaps a full-dog point? I know you said there s a dowel, but I would consider the possibility that the dog point may have sheared off and just appears to be two pieces. You could turn a new set screw of the next size up, and enlarge or drill a new dog hole. That would lock the two together again. Since it ruined the original holes, I think I would move around a few degrees and start fresh.

Make sure there is not a more serious problem that prevented the table from moving in the first place.

Thanks guys. Great answers. Tony, I'm almost certain that you are correct in that it is a full-dog point. At least it used to be. Right now it looks like a battered hexagonal post. I'll take my camera to the shop tomorrow and get some real pics of what's going on. Drilling another hole in the post and taking the set screw to the next size up seems like it would be the best option. The only thing that may complicate that is that it feels like there is some other kind of "stop" that I can't see. Where I can only turn the crank to a certain point then everything comes to a halt.

Only way to see what's really going on is a complete disassembly of the table. Once I figure out how to get that done. :biggrin:

I'll have updates tomorrow night, with some luck,

Thanks again,

-Ron

Took a couple of pics today.

I wasn't able to get the table off today as I didn't have all the proper tools. Turns out the table is a two-piece and is bolted together on the inside of the table towards the shaper end. Have to bring my large sockets and find a 14" extension for the ratchet. :p

-Ron

Okay, part of the table is off.

I pulled the bolt out of the back of the table but it is still fast to the "drive". I'm thinking that I will have to just pull the acme drive screw and lift it out of it's track. I also loosened up the tracks/slide for vertical movement and it still seems solid as a rock. Might be why the lift mechanism got trashed. :thinking: I'm going to wait until I find a shop lift before trying to pull the horizontal slide assembly, as it looks like it might be a bit heavier than my back wants to handle.

Pulled the slide off to see what is going on there, looks to be in pretty good shape. You can see the main drive gear through the opening. Anyone want to cut me a new one in case I'm missing some teeth? ;) :lmao:

-Ron

A small bottle jack would be handy. With everything loose, I'd try lifting it a little. At least put a little vertical pressure on it. You'll need to lift it and support it with wood blocking while you work on it anyway. It's out of back lifting range. Don't hurt yourself.

Ron,

Please be careful. If you aren't used to working on equipment like that, things can get out of hand very quickly. An engine hoist would be very useful for removing that table. Once you get it loose from the ways, you'll want it supported from above, not sitting on a lift. From this point on, all of the parts will be much heavier than you think.

Tom

No problem guys. I took the table off which was enough to horse around but that's why I'm waiting on a shop crane to remove the horizontal.

Tony, I will be using your advice with the bottle jack just to see if I can get some vertical movement going.

I won't try to remove it with that setup though (no worries Tom :)) as my wife would not be happy if I hurt myself while playing with my toys. :biggrin:

Thanks guys,

-Ron

Use a wood block to protect the iron from the jack. Be gentle. Those jacks can put more force on things than some people think. And the closer to the center you can put it, the better. It will have a tendency to get crooked if you lift from one side.

Tom is right. That stuff is often heavier than it looks. Please be careful.

Back