Little Power Hacksaw

urmacher

Registered
Registered
I found a little power hacksaw on craigslist. It is a power hacksaw with an 8 inch long blade. The whole machine is 21 inches long. It looks like it was made from a casting set, similar to a Casting Specialties or C F Struck kit, but is shows good workmanship. I cut down a blade for it by putting a blade in a vise and shearing the blade off above the vise jaw with a chisel. I was going to spot anneal the blade with a carbon resistance soldering machine, but I found that on the highest setting it would melt a hole through the blade in seconds without overheating the rest of the blade. That made the job easy. All I had to do was grind off the blobs of metal. I have a Sherline lathe and Taig mill I use for clock repair and I thought the saw would make a good companion piece. I will include pictures as soon as I find out how. Perhaps someone can advise me on that. Chuck

I think you need a few more posts before you can post pics here... Welcome aboard!

Hey Chuck. That little power hacksaw sounds pretty neat, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Way down towards the bottom of the main page there's a Site Issues and Help section. There's a few user guides in there that walk you through posting photos, and then there's the Practice Forum where you can do some tests to get the hang of it. I think Bob is correct though, you may need a few more posts/replies under your belt first.

-frank

Looks like it could be a great little saw.
I was hoping you would up a picture. Thanks.
lk

That's one impressive blade weight. It would really push down on the cut.

I got the saw belted up to a 1/4 hp 1725 rpm motor. The blade gets pretty warm when cutting steel, but it cuts straight and fairly fast. The oil on the cut does not smoke, so I think it is running slow enough. I have a bit of math to do to determine feet per minute. It will be useful cutting stock for my Sherline sized projects.
Chuck

Back