Lit Milling Work Needed?

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys after cleaning up my chucks I put the 3 jaw chuck on,then I pulled out my BXA tool post out of the drawer that I purchase afew yrs ago to install on my lathe which is a 13" Colchester.Well it never enter my mind to check to see if the Tee nut would fit,well the Tee nut does not fit.It needs to have a little material removed where it fits into those slots.So I was wondering if someone here would be interested in doing alittle side work which I am a paying customer?Needs about 1/16 remove from both sides which I will measure and provide a little drawing.It does not have to be perfect maybe tad on the small size as long as it fits.Here some pics see what ya think .Thanks guys for the help or ideals ---krollDSC03193.JPG DSC03192.JPG DSC03191.JPG

Kroll

I'll bet that with a little bit of thought, you could devise a set-up to attach that T-nut to the cross slide on your lathe (maybe attach it to an angle plate and clamp the angle plate to the cross slide), put a 3/8 end mill in the chuck and perform the required milling by setting the carriage to the required depths and traverse the part with the cross slide. This is basically how lathe milling attachments are used. Give it a try.

Ted

PS- If you don't feel like messing with that, I'd be glad to mill it for you if you want to mail it to me. No charge other than the postage.

Kroll,
It might be just easier to have somebody make one out of scrap.
If you want me to do it. Then please send me a hand drawn print with tolerances and a shipping address.
It'll cost you a donation to HM. You determine the value.

Daryl
MN

Kroll, I would be more than happy to do it for you---but we are about 200 miles apart. You could send it to me if you wanted--postage would be your only cost.
I bet you can find someone locally.
Or as Ted said above you could probably come up with a way to do it on your lathe.

I cant tell from the photo but does the top of the "T" fit into the gap?
If so then all I would do is chuck up the bolt and thin down the base.
If it doesnt fit then use a milling cutter in the chuck and mount the "T" to the cross slide and mill it out myself but I am a notorious cheapskate who hates to pay someone else if I can jury rig it myself:grin:

Looks like from the pictures it needs 4 surfaces done.

Where are you located? I'd hello without charging if in close enough. I'd be glad to accept a drink if you offered tho. ;)

Kroll, I will be glad to do it for you as well. I live close to Corpus Christi so not too far from you. Or if you prefer, give me the measurements and I will make you one from scratch, save some time. No charge either way.
You can PM me if you like.

All that is required here is some material removed from the bottom of the T-nut. Everything else can be left alone. Just grind it off if necessary. A belt grinder with a 40 grit belt will make short work of that job.

"Billy G"

Can't you just clamp it bottom side out in your 4 jaw chuck and turn the excess metal off with your lathe? Or maybe you have no other tool post? You could make a temporary nut to hold your tool post down. Just take a piece of mild steel that will slide into your T slot. Drill and tap a hole to accept the hold down bolt. Use it while turning down your real T nut. A slip of non clay paper under each side of the tool post will greatly help it to not revolve under pressure while cutting. A brown paper bag has no clay in the paper.

Back