Linley Jig Bore Information Wanted

Hi all- I'm restoring a later Mk. 1 and want to replace the bearings. I've found that they are grease packed abec-7 grade, but can't find any bearings that match the bearing dimensions. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any pics and/or measurements of the bearings?

Daryl
MN

Jig bores are not meant for the side load like a mill.
They were designed for a straight up and down load.
I love old iron and can't stop bringing it home!

Jig bores are not meant for the side load like a mill.
They were designed for a straight up and down load....
While I've never used one that is my understanding. Strictly vertical.
However, beware that prior to you scoring the machine someone may have abused her by pretending she was a mill.

Daryl
MN

@Uglydog pics of the bearings and dimensions attached. Any advice appreciated

Attachments

• IMG-2944.PNG
    IMG-2944.PNG
    182 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-2943.PNG
    IMG-2943.PNG
    134.7 KB · Views: 9
I've attached multiple documents on bearings and bushings, perhaps one of these is helpful.
Not light reading. But there are is powerful data in these docs on the general principles.
These documents help me to understand why they get so much money for some bearings.
A internet search suggests that Norma merged with Hoffman in the 60s, and was likely later absorbed by a different manufacture.
I think you are going to need to begin calling some of the bearing distributors or manufactures.
You will need to find someone with a Norma cross reference document if you want to get the same construction.
Likely Linley chose that construction for a specific reason.
Another alternative (which I'm not recommending) is to get a precision bearing and have bearings ground to make up the difference is spacing.
This may take some prep work and a day of patient phone calls to get anywhere.
Please let us know what you discover. I suggest chasing the equivalent. If you decide not to purchase it due to price you might likely find something which will at least fit.

Daryl
MN

Attachments

• Bearing Self Study Guide.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • Bearing Self Study Guide.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • Timken-Bearings-Catalog.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Looked at an operable Moore #2 Jig Grinder last Thursday.
I've no application for it, just a way cool machine, unused & unloved.
Dan Gelbart and Don Bailey exposed me to a Moore Jig bore machine.
When you need to open up a bore by .0002" and the jig bore is your solution, that's a pretty cool machine!!
I understand there are still quite a few floating around. Because of the high precision applications, many of them have had good care.
Not to mention the high initial cost of the machine tools.

Back